Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,373   Online: 800

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Museums are full of objects that don't get used. They're called collections.

Collections trace their history in human culture back over 2,000 years. They're nothing new.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 07-27-2012 at 01:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first Nikon F with FTN head was purchased in 1970. I use it all the time. It has a few dings and dents and some brassing. It may not be a showpiece, but it still is beautiful to me.
    I have a collection of very old cameras - one my Grandmother got in 1907, and one my Dad had in college, circa 1931-33. They are for collecting, although I have run film through most of them just for fun.
    I say, collect what you want to collect, but have some users so you can do your photography without worrying. I don't abuse anything, but things do happen.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, I get the hint now. Let's end this thread once and for all. My apologies if I offended anyone by merely stating that I collect cameras and decided to buy a "beater" camera to get me to start using my cameras again. I had forgotten how stuffy it can get in here. Now I remember why I stayed away from this forum for so long.

p.s. I'm sure that those of you who seemed to be appalled by my habit of collecting and preserving Nikon film bodies would be the first in line to purchase any of them if I were to sell them over some other bodies in not such good condition. How do you explain the existence of camera equipment out there in pristine condition if it were not for collectors like me? Do as you preach and next time you find an old camera for sale in excellent condition don't buy it. It might have belonged to some inconsiderate collector like myself.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Attached is a perfect example of what I am referring to regarding "use and abuse". One of these was my user camera, the other was for collecting. See if you can spot the subtle differences.

http://www.pbase.com/snegronspics/image/111851962
    I prefer the one at the back.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of these was my user camera, the other was for collecting.
    If your "user" camera is in that condition... Is it the camera's fault?

None of my users look like that.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    If your "user" camera is in that condition... Is it the camera's fault?

None of my users look like that.

- Leigh
    Please read my previous response. I believe I was very clear about how I no longer wished to offend anyone here with my collecting habits. You win. I'm leaving. There are other forums on the net with people who are not as easily offended and over critical.

p.s. If any moderator is reading this, please feel free to lock this thread. I think some have taken it the wrong way and it seems to no longer be a productive exchange. Thanks. Again, my apologies if I offended anyone.
    Last edited by snegron; 07-27-2012 at 02:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    If I use the cameras moderately and with care there won't be any difference between that and not using them at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't see why you feel anyone was offended by your collecting. I didn't see any responses which would lead me to that conclusion.
    I do hope you "exercise" your collection once in a while. Running them through the various shutter speeds, cocking the shutter, using the winder, etc., will help keep their insides as pristine as you keep the outsides.

For me, I have a habit of anthropomorphizing my cameras. I have a few from the 50's, which hadn't been used in close to 50 years. When I loaded them with film, and pressed the shutter, I could have sworn they said, "Thank you"... I consider it somewhat of an honor to return an item to it's original purpose.

Shooter
    35mm
    Please read my previous response. I believe I was very clear about how I no longer wished to offend anyone here with my collecting habits. You win. I'm leaving. There are other forums on the net with people who are not as easily offended and over critical.
    No one's offended here, puzzled is more like it. Simple fact is a lot of us collect as well, but we obviously don't relate to your attitude towards your collection. I know I don't. And what kind of discussion you were expecting I'm honestly not sure of.

Me, I buy my cameras to use. I am also extremely picky as to their condition when I buy them - I want them as close to new as I can get, and I get very close most of the time. I also take very good care of them; what many people would say is borderline OCD perhaps. Even so, I would never dream of not using them, because that's why I bought them in the first place. And to spend money on a camera I dislike just so I can go out and shoot? Huh? Not happening. This is my current shooter:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7052565687_22677b8666_o.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	54546

I'm still scanning the fifteen rolls I recently put through it, and I'll likely put a few more through it tomorrow. And even with regular use it'll still look like it does now. If you really want therapy, take out one of your pristine cameras that you really love and use it. That's the point of having them.

Shooter
    35mm

p.s. If any moderator is reading this, please feel free to lock this thread. I think some have taken it the wrong way and it seems to no longer be a productive exchange. Thanks. Again, my apologies if I offended anyone.
    I admire your devotion to maintaining good condition examples of film equipment.I too have mint condition examples I bought just so a pristine example will exist. I have other bodies of the same make and model in lesser condition that I use.

There is nothing wrong with preserving mint/excellent condition examples, if fact I feel its imperative.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin