Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,320   Online: 887

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    What is the point in a camera you don't dare use?
    + 1 (and then some)! I collect books (first editions - and yes I do READ them), art (paintings and photographic prints) and vinyl records (which I do listen to when my limited leisure time permits); my cameras, however, are my tools. I have never been able to fathom collecting cameras irrespective of their rarity. To me collecting cameras is something akin to a painter collecting brushes or tubes of paint or blank canvases...

Cameras? I prefer looking through them, not at them!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my cameras almost every day I bought all of them in mint used condition I have had them all for more than twenty years, and have used them almost every day, I have had all of them CLAd once in recent years, and they are all still in the same condition as I got them in, cameras are machines that are made to be used, if they are not abused and used carefully there's no reason to wrap them in bubble wrap and treat them as devotional objects, they are a means to an end, not an end in themselves.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    I believe I was very clear about how I no longer wished to offend anyone here with my collecting habits.
    My comments have nothing to do with your collecting habits. In fact I laud them.

My criticism was directed toward your apparent disregard for handling of your user cameras.
    When I spend money for something I try to take good care of it.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^ I thought the OP said he bought a camera in bargin condition, why judge him/her for the prior owners transgressions? I think the OP has already described how he/she has reverence for cameras, why give the OP a hard time? He/she is trying to find joy in photography and collecting (two seperate hobbies - for some), not sure what sense it makes to judge
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Attached is a perfect example of what I am referring to regarding "use and abuse". One of these was my user camera, the other was for collecting. See if you can spot the subtle differences.

http://www.pbase.com/snegronspics/image/111851962
    Uuummm...oh I see! The one in back is not an HP!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    I admire your devotion to maintaining good condition examples of film equipment.I too have mint condition examples I bought just so a pristine example will exist. I have other bodies of the same make and model in lesser condition that I use.

There is nothing wrong with preserving mint/excellent condition examples, if fact I feel its imperative.
    That's why I prefer to not have mint examples. It's unlikely I'll keep them pristine- just a byproduct of how and where they're used. I have one very early serial number Pentax MX which needs to have its wind mechanism repaired. It's in gorgeous shape cosmetically, so I'll probably just sell it after I get around to getting it fixed. If someone else puts it on a shelf I say great- there's plenty more around for people to use.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Having a mint condition example of anything brings out jealousy in others.Its real obvious with collector cars.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I find this thread so sad how the OP was treated by some. Imagine if this was a forum for people who liked geography, if someone posted about how s/he enjoys antique map collecting, I cant imagine someone replying "hey you should get out there and just use those maps like I do with my maps, they are only a tool you know...".

I think the OP brings up a good discussion, and it is evident to me that there is a clear delineation between collecting and photography. It's nice the OP has the strength to come forward and talk about his/her two different hobbies and how s/he is enjoying both worlds....

Kudos to you OP for having enjoyable hobbies!
    Last edited by zsas; 07-31-2012 at 09:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typo
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    Having a mint condition example of anything brings out jealousy in others.Its real obvious with collector cars.
    Anyone who owns anything just to make others jealous needs therapy. So do the 'others'.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^Really? Collectors of art, cameras, stamps, etc., do it to make others feel bad about themselves? Goodness....

Of course ther are people in the world who do that but, I see no evidence of such here, the OP way trying to have a funny discussion about cameras and how s/he approaches it due to having two discrete hobbies (that some have no regard for)....then was sadly attacked....
    Andy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin