Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,648   Posts: 1,481,284   Online: 723

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Experimental Therapy

I just posted a similar thread on Nikonians but thought I would share with everyone here as well.

For years I have been collecting Nikon film cameras. I grew attached to most of them but ironically rarely used them for fear of getting scratches, dents or dings on them. I bubble-wrapped them all and placed them into storage after finally being fed up with the poor lab service in my area; local labs were ruining my rolls. A friend of mine recently gave me his old Nikon EM which he kept tucked away for many years. All the care he took unfortunately worked against the camera because the lack of use is causing me to have to bring it back to useable life. This got me thinking about my camera collecting practices, but I couldn't bring myself to using or abusing them.

So, I decided to try a new form of therapy. I purchased a camera I like least of all with the intended purpose of using it on a daily basis without fear; a Nikon F2A in bargain condition. I purchased a very nice looking one years ago but never cared too much for the feel or balance compared to my older F or newer F3. My reasoning is that I won't grow attached to it because it is not my favorite body type, and even if I did inadvertently fall in love with it, it is a BGN body; no collectors appeal whatsoever!

I also purchased a box of bubble protected mail envelopes to send my future rolls of film to either Dwyanes or Dale Lab for developing. My objective is to do what I used to love; take pictures with my film camera. No fear of scratches, just joy of using my camera and taking pictures. Maybe this new therapy will cure my senseless collecting disorder!
    Last edited by snegron; 07-26-2012 at 10:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Last week I saw a digital print with a scratch on the paper....

Probably if you call them they say it's a sand corn on your sensor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am crazy about my car, but not my cameras for some reason. When I got my Leica MP, I took the plastic off the bottom immediately. I like pictures first, cameras are down on the list.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    ...but I couldn't bring myself to using or abusing them.
    ???

Use and abuse are two very different things.

I've been using film cameras (Nikon, Hasselblad, and LF) for over 50 years, and have never put a scratch or ding on any of them.

Admittedly, if a particular camera is used heavily, you can get some wear on the finish ("brassing") and such.
    I've never used any one camera enough for that to occur, but I've certainly seen numerous examples thereof.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 07-27-2012 at 09:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using my Linhof ST IV regularly since 1987, I take it in the woods, use it handheld, indoors, etc. The last time I saw the original owner he looked it over and said it looked the same as the day I bought it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    ???

Use and abuse are two very different things.

I've been using film cameras (Nikon, Hasselblad, and LF) for over 50 years, and have never put a scratch or ding on any of them.

Admittedly, if a particular camera is used heavily, you can get some wear on the finish ("brassing") and such.
    I've never used any one camera enough for that to occur, but I've certainly seen numerous examples thereof.

- Leigh

Attached is a perfect example of what I am referring to regarding "use and abuse". One of these was my user camera, the other was for collecting. See if you can spot the subtle differences.

http://www.pbase.com/snegronspics/image/111851962

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did not say you couldn't abuse a camera. Obviously you can.

I said that use does not imply abuse. It just takes a bit of care and paying attention to what you're doing.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cameras were made to be used. It's only abuse if it means the camera no longer works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is the point in a camera you don't dare use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    What is the point in a camera you don't dare use?
    None.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin