Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,706   Online: 765

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Olympus om 10's. Camera leather do covers for them, you can pick the bodies up for about £10 upwards. The 50 1.8 is a killer lens and in cheap. They're rugged, sound nice and will grow up with the kids opening them up to film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two Minolta Maxxum 5000 35mm autofocus cameras that work fine. The two cameras cost me less than $50 with shipping. They have small 35-80 autofocus zoom lenses and they load Kodak Gold 400 film in them. I buy film on special whenever I can find it so it usually costs me less than a dollar per roll. My grandson is seven years old and my granddaughter is nine. They both love their cameras and have decorated them with stickers and even a bit of paint (which has to be renewed once in a while because it wears off.) The cameras have been in use for about a year now and have been very reliable and pretty sturdy. Both cameras have been dropped several times and I cringe whenever it happens. I am learning though that plastic is actually tougher than I had thought. The lenses are both equipped with UV filters in the hope that they will protect the lenses. The granddaughter asked for a 50mm lens about a month ago and I was able to get her one for about $15 with shipping so now she's happy primarily because it focuses quicker then her old zoom (maybe one of the bounces slowed it up).

We started with Vivitar V3800N cameras with the 50mm 1.7 lens, and I still have them, but neither of the kids have really mastered the art of manual focusing yet. They have a lot more fun with the Minoltas. I have kept the Vivitar cameras and if they are still interested when they get older we'll probably try them again.

We develop the film ourselves and both kids load their own reels and put them in the tanks for developing. That took a little practice and a few rolls of film didn't quite survive the process but they stayed at it and they are pretty good now. Grandpa handles the chemicals and although I am still learning color developing, so far nothing has been totally ruined in the developing stage. We have also developed some of it in black and white which works out all right as well. They prefer color but are not terribly particular that it be perfect. We had been scanning things, which they like, but we have printed a few negatives and they love that part. I shudder to think how much this part is likely to cost me, but watching them is certainly worth it.

Printing is fun but unfortunately I may have to buy another enlarger because they are threatening to monopolize my poor Beseler. If someone knows where I can get an old but useable Leitz Focomat for a really good price I would be forever grateful.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would imagine the simpler Pentax ZX/MZ models would be suitable.

K-mount / M42 with adapter
    Auto exposure
    Cheap as chips
    Cheap lenses (lots of Pentax F/FA autofocus lenses for really no money)
    Can be upgraded later to more interesting bodies
    Supports lenses way back to M42, lots of good Pentax glass out there.

I use the ZX/MZ system myself, and have a range of different bodies, from the manual MZ-M to the feature filled af MZ-6 (that even supports P-TTL).

The ZX/MZ-50 would probably be a good start (P, Av, Tv, M, B modes).

http://www.pentaxforums.com/camerare...film-slrs.html
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Felinik View Post
    I would imagine the simpler Pentax ZX/MZ models would be suitable.

K-mount / M42 with adapter
    Auto exposure
    Cheap as chips
    Cheap lenses (lots of Pentax F/FA autofocus lenses for really no money)
    Can be upgraded later to more interesting bodies
    Supports lenses way back to M42, lots of good Pentax glass out there.

I use the ZX/MZ system myself, and have a range of different bodies, from the manual MZ-M to the feature filled af MZ-6 (that even supports P-TTL).

The ZX/MZ-50 would probably be a good start (P, Av, Tv, M, B modes).

http://www.pentaxforums.com/camerare...film-slrs.html
    I agree with this. I had a ZX5 and it was a nice small body that a child could handle easily. An old Pentax (Spotmatic era) would be sturdier, but has less auto features.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all very much for the great recamendationd. This gives me a lot to check out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    When I was 9, my first camera was a Pentax H3v (nee SV in the rest of the world). 55/1.8 Super-Takumar. Shot decent pics.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    This weekend, until Sunday 7/29, KEH has free shipping on orders over $100.

If you pick just the right items to be a bit over $100, this will save you a few bucks.
    Last edited by bladerunner6; 07-29-2012 at 08:49 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Schrotenboer View Post
    Hello APUGers. I am looking for a good 35mm camera to get for my two young children. I have some needs and some wants so I will just make a list and then ask for your help finding the best choice.

First the needs.
    Cheep (I did say "young" children )
    Small(ish)
    Easy to use
    And functional (obviously)

Now the wants
    Good glass available
    A system that can grow with them
    Availability for camera leather replacement (red for him and pink for her)
    Black body
    Two identical setups

The wants are definatly not necessary, and I plan I giving them to the children for Christmas so I am in no big hurry. Also something beat up and a little ugly is fine as that is likely to happen anyway with them being so young (6 and 8 if you were wondering)

Any help with this is greatly apreceated
    On first sight of the title " Cameras for young children", I thought you wanted a trade, because when my children were young I know the feeling .
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    How did this proceed? Did you decide on a system to equip your young ones with finally?

:P
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did end up buying two Minolta SRT 201's with 50mm f/1.7 rockor lenses. They are a little big and awkward in their hands but I think that they will work out all right. Thank you again everyone for your help and suggestions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin