Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,100   Online: 983

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img172.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	378.7 KB 
ID:	54543

Here is a snap I took. I think the two chaps had started moving. It is a straight scan of a 200 asa negative. I have not fiddled with the file. It doesn't look as saturated or as sharp as the other uploads in this thread. Maybe the film I used is not as good?

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never make any judgements based on a negative scan. Get something printed.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jones View Post

Here is a snap I took. I think the two chaps had started moving. It is a straight scan of a 200 asa negative. I have not fiddled with the file. It doesn't look as saturated or as sharp as the other uploads in this thread. Maybe the film I used is not as good?

Dave
    As Mopar Guy says, you can't make a good judgement with a scanned negative, unless your scanner is properly set up and adjusted. That said, I have come across a couple of Olympus lenses which were junk. No big deal, it was easy to find good replacements cheaply.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I saw the first pictures I made using my Olympus OM2 and the 50mm f1.8 lens, if anything, I was a slightly shocked by the sharpness. I suspect it might need the attention of a good lens repair expert.

Chris B.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I have a half dozen OM 50/1,8's and two are so hazy inside they definitely suffer.

The latest versions ("Japan" & "Made in Japan") have some funky sealed front lens setup that can't come apart - making cleaning impossible. (unless there is a secret way to open them?)

While I prefer the silver nose and earliest MC versions, I do have a pristine 1.8 MIJ that I haven't even tried yet.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the Zuiko is one of the best lenses in it's category. It's better than the f/1.4. I have five. I prefer the silver nose ( F.Zuiko)
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dave
    I don't see any hard shadows in your photo, looks like it was a cloudy/hazy day, which can desaturate any color vividness. Very few lenses can "improve" the color of a scene when the light is devoid of the full spectrum of light. You might want to try again when the light is clear and bright. Color negative film is the least accurate way to test color quality of a lens. You might consider color slide film if at all possible. RandyB

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the new replies.
    Dave

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have had a few cameras but I thought I would try an Om-1. I have a 50mm F1.8 marked "Made in Japan". I was a bit disappointed with the results as it seemed not as sharp as I was expecting, nothing like a contax 50mm F1.7 T* I once owned.
    You're trying a "very good" Zuiko and comparing it to the "superb" Zeiss Planar. You have been spoiled with the Zeiss lens.

I had an Olympus OM-20 and used the Zuiko 1,8/50 lens and was happy with it as my main small format camera until I bought an old Kodak Retina Ib with the Schneider Xenar 2,8/50. The Zuiko was sharp, but the Xenar is razor sharp.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    You're trying a "very good" Zuiko and comparing it to the "superb" Zeiss Planar. You have been spoiled with the Zeiss lens.

I had an Olympus OM-20 and used the Zuiko 1,8/50 lens and was happy with it as my main small format camera until I bought an old Kodak Retina Ib with the Schneider Xenar 2,8/50. The Zuiko was sharp, but the Xenar is razor sharp.
    I agree. I have a Retina IIIc.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin