Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,051   Online: 815

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    You're trying a "very good" Zuiko and comparing it to the "superb" Zeiss Planar. You have been spoiled with the Zeiss lens.

I had an Olympus OM-20 and used the Zuiko 1,8/50 lens and was happy with it as my main small format camera until I bought an old Kodak Retina Ib with the Schneider Xenar 2,8/50. The Zuiko was sharp, but the Xenar is razor sharp.
    sharp vs razor sharp... To make such statement, you need to compare lenses in the exact same situation and on various circumstances, and to eliminate any variable which could distort the result. Then you can be affirmative.

In you case and as you wrote, you did not compared a Zuiko with a Xenar but an OM20 SLR + a Zuiko vs a Retina + a Xenar which is not exactly the same thing.

take care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you tried taking off the lens and seeing if the dust on the ground glass is in focus. You may need a dioptric correction lens or there may be one already there. You should be able to see the focus on the screen. Also check the mirror and the screen to see if they are in their proper place as these things can affect focus. You could also try any other Zuiko lens to see if the focus is lens related.

Shooter
    Large Format
    When I was young I bought a brand new Contax 139 with a 50mm Carl Zeiss Planar because I wanted "the sharpest lenses". Soon after I joined St. Louis Camera Club. They would project our slides and

critique them. There were photographers with Contax RTSll's, Nikon F3's and Canon F's. There were also photographers with Pentax K1000's, Minolta XGM's, Olympus OM1's, etc.. etc.

When I looked up upon those images, to save my life I couldn't tell you which photos were taken with which cameras.

I'm not saying that all 35mm camera lenses are completely equal but if you really want a difference in sharpness then you need to move up a format.

My daughter has an Olympus OM1 and her 50mm is plenty sharp. It sounds like you just got a hold of a bad example.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdEye View Post
    I had an earlier version of the 50/1.8, it's probably the nicest all around lens that I had (sharpness, OOF areas,size). Here is an example shot with it at f1.8:

Attachment 54532
    AAMOI after reading about different versions of this lens:- I have two versions one with no mention of "made in Japan" on the front dust cover but it has "made in Japan" on the silver mount AND the other has "made in Japan" on front dust cover and just "Japan" on the silver mount. What's the point? In tests I can't see the difference.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe I just had a case of the d.t. s when I took the OM out!
    Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	645.4 KB 
ID:	54894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	368.6 KB 
ID:	54895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	568.0 KB 
ID:	54896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	437.7 KB 
ID:	54897

I have some scanned prints that were made at the same place from similar quality 200 asa film negs. One is the one I posted earlier from the Olympus (steam loco). The others are zeiss 1.7 with tripod, Yashica ML 1.9 and Canon 100mm f2.8. I scanned them on the same settings on the same scanner to compare. Can you tell which is which apart from the Olympus which I'm sure isn't quite so good?

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	645.4 KB 
ID:	54894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	368.6 KB 
ID:	54895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	568.0 KB 
ID:	54896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	437.7 KB 
ID:	54897

I have some scanned prints that were made at the same place from similar quality 200 asa film negs. One is the one I posted earlier from the Olympus (steam loco). The others are zeiss 1.7 with tripod, Yashica ML 1.9 and Canon 100mm f2.8. I scanned them on the same settings on the same scanner to compare. Can you tell which is which apart from the Olympus which I'm sure isn't quite so good?
    This isn't easy with different motifs and probably different apertures used, but I'll give it a go:

1. Zeiss
    2. Canon
    3. Yashica
    4. Olympus
    J. Patric Dahlén

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    sharp vs razor sharp... To make such statement, you need to compare lenses in the exact same situation and on various circumstances, and to eliminate any variable which could distort the result. Then you can be affirmative.

In you case and as you wrote, you did not compared a Zuiko with a Xenar but an OM20 SLR + a Zuiko vs a Retina + a Xenar which is not exactly the same thing.

take care.
    You're right about that, of course. But when you use a lens for a while you'll get the feel of the overall image quality. I prefer my Retinas with Xenar and Heligon 50/2.8 over the Olympus OM with 50/1.8 Zuiko for "everyday picture taking".
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    35mm
    JPD- I think about cameras the same way. I just see how they work in all kinds of situations. You didn't get the photo order quite right. The first pic is actually the Yashica hand held although I was resting my elbows on the next bike along. That lens would work well at certain apertures but could look pretty soft on dull days. Using a tripod it could be excellent. The ML F1.7 version that my brother has is perhaps better. The zeiss is the third pic. Large apertures were good on this lens. This pic of a dog shows this well.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img175.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	306.2 KB 
ID:	55064
    Last edited by David Jones; 08-07-2012 at 11:28 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: mixed up text

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think anything is learned by straight scans with no post processing. The scanned image shouldn't be about what it is, but what it could be. It is what darkroom work, and now scanning work, is all about, post processing to achieve the goal. All sorts of things come into play to confuse the issue with a straight scan, such as the inherent contrast of some lenses rather than the inherent sharpness of others. And often contrast is confused with sharpness, like the Zeiss have an inherent contrasty 'pop', while Leica and Olympus lenses are less show off and concentrate on sharpness and rendering. I can't see anything in the original steam engine picture that couldn't be rectified by some post processing of the image.

Steve

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin