Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,080   Online: 892

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Olympus OM 50mm F1.8

I have had a few cameras but I thought I would try an Om-1. I have a 50mm F1.8 marked "Made in Japan". I was a bit disappointed with the results as it seemed not as sharp as I was expecting, nothing like a contax 50mm F1.7 T* I once owned. The images don't really look sharp anywhere and the out of focus areas when using a larger aperture look a bit unpleasant, not smooth like the Zeiss or another 50mm lens I have, a Canon Fd 50mm on an old AE-1. Have I got a dud lens? I like the little OM-1 so should I just try another lens on it? Maybe I just had a bad day when I took the pics!
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All Zuikos, esp. the 50mm MIJ, should be able to produce sharp images. From what you are telling I can only presume your body and/or lens have issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrclSchprs View Post
    All Zuikos, esp. the 50mm MIJ, should be able to produce sharp images. From what you are telling I can only presume your body and/or lens have issues.
    +1. Never had any trouble with my 50mm f/1.8 Zuiko lens. In terms of sharpness, it is as good as many more prestigious lenses. For the OOF area, sorry I can't tell you as I don't pay attention to it.

Take care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    +2. Check to see if the lens is clean, sounds like a previous owner was lax on housekeeping. The problem with older used gear is you never know how it was stored and may even have some fungus.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Grab the lens and shake it. If you hear a something rattling around a retaining ring may have loosened and one of the lens elements is out of place.

I have two of these lenses and they're like any normal lens of the era, a bit soft wide-open but sharpen up nicely when you stop down. Olympus lenses are generally very good, but it's also possible that you have a dog. It can happen.

Jim B.
    Last edited by Mackinaw; 07-28-2012 at 10:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, thanks for those answers. I have been thinking about this and have a vague memory of a review of the Om4ti in which they were surprised by the supplied lens not being very sharp. I wonder if there was a bad lot? I can't see that there could be anything wrong with the camera that would spoil sharpness. The pressure plate looks ok. The lenses are so cheap that I may get another one to try. I wonder if I am being too fussy?

Rick and Jim- I will have a close look at the lens.
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two early version 50/1.8 lenses and both are super crisp except wide open, then they show a dreamy cool out of focus back ground. One is from the 70's (OM-1) and one from the mid 80's (OM-4).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo24_21-3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	901.1 KB 
ID:	54518
    This is a shot from my OM2 with a 50 1.8 from a couple of weeks ago in Manchester. Other than my Helios 44-2 and my Canon 50 1.8 it is about the sharpest lens I have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine is super sharp on both my om-10 and om-20. i even have an example that has enormous amounts of dust, some speckles and scratches too, i almost cant tell the images apart from my mint 50/1.8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had an earlier version of the 50/1.8, it's probably the nicest all around lens that I had (sharpness, OOF areas,size). Here is an example shot with it at f1.8:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6675227049_f2732c297e_b.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	416.6 KB 
ID:	54532

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin