Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,861   Online: 1062

Thread: Autoknips

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Autoknips

A few years ago I collected several of these, some with instructions in German in metal cases and some in plastic cases, with instructions in English. However, I have never actually used these. Do any have experience with use of these devices? They seem a very ingenious device for delayed action.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They work fine. The better ones have an adjustment for stroke. If you use old large format shutters, or cameras without timers, they can be quite handy.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    They work fine. The better ones have an adjustment for stroke. If you use old large format shutters, or cameras without timers, they can be quite handy.
    May I ask what you mean by stroke?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    May I ask what you mean by stroke?
    The amount the plunger which actuates the camera or shutter extends. Too far, and it can jam or damage something. Not far enough, and it can fail to actuate the device.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 07-31-2012 at 04:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Which Autoknips models are you talking about?

http://www.submin.com/general/collec.../autoknips.htm

My favorite is the Autoknips IV http://www.submin.com/general/collec...toknips_iv.htm

I use it with a 15 cm cable release extention http://www.xn--drahtauslser-djb.com/...PAdaptors.html

I use this them with old folders, plate cameras, Retinas and Rolleicords (the models that don't have the shutter built in). It should also work well with the Rolleiflex GX/FX/FW/FT.

Autoknips I and II are also in my collection, but none of them work well the cable releases I have. Before the Autoknips IV with extention cable release I used a Swiss made Photoclip selftimer. http://www.ebay.com/itm/400302058478
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use a variation, the Kodak Auto-Release. It clips onto generic cable releases and gives a hands-free self-timer so you don't shake the camera during long exposures by yanking the cable when on a flimsy tripod.

Some vintage cameras either don't come equipped with self-timer or the self-timer is finicky (or worse). I left it and a cable release at home for the Russian River shots, where I sorely needed it. Self-timer escapement on the Ikonta reluctantly clicked a few ticks per minute under pressure.

Also have a Prontor variation on the theme that you have to press to start but it lets you dial in a number of seconds that it holds the release down, up to 32 seconds.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Interesting and thanks for the response. I also like the look of Autoknips IV, but don't have one of these. Are their many other versions that just screw into the shutter button?

Francis Bacon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin