Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,514   Online: 1022

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    I have that lens. Mine doesn't rattle at all.
    Have you ever dealt with the repair shop in Nashua? I looked around and one came up in your area. The one in RI is called Zack's Camera Repair.
    It has to be true. I read it on the internet, and you can't lie on the internet!!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For mine I swear all the shop did was clean it up and renew the damping grease on the focus mechanism. Even with loosenesss and "rattle" I never experienced an affect on image sharpness.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That sounds promising. If the issue doesn't effect the sharpness, then I can live with it for a while. It's still in E+++ shape, and it looks like it's holding it's value, so it would be worth spending the $$ at some point to fix it.
    It has to be true. I read it on the internet, and you can't lie on the internet!!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Prunier View Post
    If the issue doesn't effect the sharpness, then I can live with it for a while. It's still in E+++ shape, and it looks like it's holding it's value, so it would be worth spending the $$ at some point to fix it.
    So, that is exactly what my logic was. My lens was a 1.4/50 that had been in continuous service for 30 years. It was in good condition, gave great images... it just was loose and didn't feel as good to foucs as when it was younger. Then one day I miraculously had a spare C-note in my pocket and the repair shop was right in front of me. I'm glad I had it overhauled but have no regrets from waiting. Had there been image issues I would have taken it in for repair a lot earlier!

BTW, the only "value" a lens has for me is its ability to produce images.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Prunier View Post
    OMG Iv'e been having the same exact problem with mine for a while now! I tried taking the back off and tighten everything the best I could but it still does it. Mine can be tight to focus at times, and there's some "slop" "wiggle" to it. When I hold the lens in my hand and move it around it makes a clunking sound like the barrel is loose. There's a shop in Providence RI that I'm thinking about contacting. It's only 1 1/2 hr's from me so I may see if I can bring it down and wait. Spend the day down there instead of mailing it.

Can you tell if it's effecting the sharpness of your images?
    Not right now. In a couple of days I can get my hand on a Nikon 5100 so I'll do some pixel peeping. If it is ill it might be the CRC group. That should affect near-distance performance, right?

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm
    i took mine to Ray's Camera, located in the Denver Pro Photo shop.

He revived my nearly dead Nikkor 35mm F/2 AI. The barrel was loose, the focus action was inconsistent and squeeky, and the focusing ring rubber grip had disintegrated. He tightened and lubricated everything, and found a rubber ring for my lens. Other than the worn off paint, the lens performed as if new! He had told me on several occassions that I should just junk it, rather than shell out the money to fix it...but then I showed him the prices of a decent 35mm f2 AI. I loved that lens AFTER he repaired it.

I like Ray for all of my Nikon stuff. (which I no longer own...now that I have a Contax G2)

Shooter
    35mm

PING! Stephen Prunier

Steven,

I've just looked at some 100% crops from DX images using a D5100 and that 28mm F/2. Nothing appears amiss, either focused at infinity or at the closest distance of 0.25 meters. In fact, I'm damn pleased with what I see. If I were shooting Kodachrome or Velvia or a new Ektachrome or techpan or something like that, on a tripod, with the mirror locked up, I might, might, give the nod to the f/2.8. But I shoot Tri-X so it's a non-starter. Plus I like that extra stop and the veiling at f/2. I've never been inclined to pixel peep and I'm less so every time I conduct one of these (for me) pointless little tests.

I still don't like that rattle but it doesn't appear to be causing any problems. For me. YMMV. Good luck and post if you take any action and what the outcome is.

Snap happy,

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Steven,

I've just looked at some 100% crops from DX images using a D5100 and that 28mm F/2. Nothing appears amiss, either focused at infinity or at the closest distance of 0.25 meters. In fact, I'm damn pleased with what I see. If I were shooting Kodachrome or Velvia or a new Ektachrome or techpan or something like that, on a tripod, with the mirror locked up, I might, might, give the nod to the f/2.8. But I shoot Tri-X so it's a non-starter. Plus I like that extra stop and the veiling at f/2. I've never been inclined to pixel peep and I'm less so every time I conduct one of these (for me) pointless little tests.

I still don't like that rattle but it doesn't appear to be causing any problems. For me. YMMV. Good luck and post if you take any action and what the outcome is.

Snap happy,

s-a
    AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin