Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,418   Online: 1129

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikkor AiS repair guru needed

Can anyone here 'recommend' a good shop experienced with Nikkor AiS/CRC lenses? I have a 28mm f/2 that's making a scary loose-element-kinda sound when shaken. It might just be wear in the CRC group but I'd like to head this one off at the pass.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are a lot of repair shops that should be able to fix that, but it would help to know were you live. No sense in spending more on postage than repairs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    There are a lot of repair shops that should be able to fix that, but it would help to know were you live. No sense in spending more on postage than repairs.
    (What a knucklehead.) You're right. Denver.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    I would show your lens to somebody who knows Nikkor lenses. Perhaps this is quite normal. I have several AiS lenses who make rattling sounds when shaken, e.g. the 1:2,8/135 mm. This comes from the aperture actuating mechanism.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    (What a knucklehead.) You're right. Denver.

s-a
    Interestingly, Nikon seems to have removed from their website the list of Authorized Repair Stations, but in Denver area it was Metro Camera Service in Englewood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. I had a Nikkor that developed a slight rattle and it was in the focus assy -- got loose from age and use. I think it cost about $100 to have the lens overhauled. After that it felt (and sounded) just like new again.

Shooter
    35mm
    It would be worth a dime to phone John at Focal Point Lens in Superior. He usually works on "high-end German and Japanese optics" as noted on his site < http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_intro.html >. He has serviced my Leica and Nikon glass. Recommended.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jochen View Post
    Hello,
    I would show your lens to somebody who knows Nikkor lenses. Perhaps this is quite normal. I have several AiS lenses who make rattling sounds when shaken, e.g. the 1:2,8/135 mm. This comes from the aperture actuating mechanism.
    I have that lens. Mine doesn't rattle at all.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    35mm
    When all is said and done tell us which shop you chose and whether you liked the service.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Can anyone here 'recommend' a good shop experienced with Nikkor AiS/CRC lenses? I have a 28mm f/2 that's making a scary loose-element-kinda sound when shaken. It might just be wear in the CRC group but I'd like to head this one off at the pass.

s-a
    OMG Iv'e been having the same exact problem with mine for a while now! I tried taking the back off and tighten everything the best I could but it still does it. Mine can be tight to focus at times, and there's some "slop" "wiggle" to it. When I hold the lens in my hand and move it around it makes a clunking sound like the barrel is loose. There's a shop in Providence RI that I'm thinking about contacting. It's only 1 1/2 hr's from me so I may see if I can bring it down and wait. Spend the day down there instead of mailing it.

Can you tell if it's effecting the sharpness of your images?
    It has to be true. I read it on the internet, and you can't lie on the internet!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin