Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,845   Posts: 1,582,694   Online: 1065

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leica fans

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Leica fans

For the Leica fans on APUG, I thought this site was quite interesting -

http://www.overgaard.dk/leica_history.html

and I particularly liked the photo of Suzy Parker in New York with a Leica. However, I can’t help thinking that modern Leicas are more fashion accessories.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Cool link - thanks for posting!

Thorsten has a great collection of information on his site.

There's also an Overview of the M System available that gives a concise, illustrated history of the various M models that I wrote up a while back, if anyone's interested.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know. Comes across more like a self-fashioned weekend photographer ego maniac. I mean, all his poses and fashionista manners.

Nothing to do with photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The photo of Dexter Gordon shows what can be photographed using a relatively slow film (by today's standards) in a low light siluation. It shows what a true master of his craft can accomplish.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    leica might seem like a fashion accessory until you use one for an extended period. before i shot with a leica i also shot with a bunch of different nikon dslr's, a few other kinds of rangefinders, etc. but ever since i got my leica m3 it's been difficult to switch back. it's not new camera syndrome - the benefits when using the leica m3 are very clear and apparent - it's very silent to shoot, heavy in the hands so quite stable even at slow shutter speeds, etc.

the other night i went out with my epson r-d1 (digital rangefinder) and while i love that camera it gave me a rude awakening when i started taking some shots of a very quiet street with a couple people walking in and out of the frame - the shutter is bloody noisy and the people around me heard it tripping. the leica is a whisper, nobody ever notices the shutter sound.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leica M3 benefits might be very clear and apparent for you but sorry, apart for the "cult" aspect, I never found them that spectacular.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Modern (digital) Leicas are indeed fashion accessories, and the bodies will not hold their value in the long run.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Wow! That was fun. Thanks for the link, it is now safely in my favorites file. I think I'll grab my M-4 now and go do some Leica photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i'm curious how long you owned one and what kind of photography you used it for?

i think if you do street photography or any kind of photography where a quiet camera with good handling is necessary leicas are difficult to beat (there are other cameras out there that can do the job of course)

i have a ricoh grd III which is a fantastic wide angled digital camera with a 28mm lens, and it's dead silent when taking photos, but it relies on batteries and there's no way i would use it in the rain.

leicas are definitely not fashion accessories, if you look at the price of used ones they are no more expensive than any other camera, but they do offer fantastic handling and wickedly solid build, plus the lenses are very compact, well built, and reliable.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    Modern (digital) Leicas are indeed fashion accessories, and the bodies will not hold their value in the long run.
    Is that why the M8 still sells for ~$2k?

Naturally, ANY digital body will not hold value like a film camera - as digital capabilities get ever better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin