Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,631   Online: 793

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Good wide angle prime 20-28 mm? For Nikon DX/FX

I mostly shoot with a 50 mm lens (on my DSLR with my 35 mm f1.8, on my F100 with a 50 mm f1.8 and on my Bronica 6x6 with a 80 mm f2.8), which I love but I feel I need to learn something new pretty soon. Like a new perspective, literally

So I'm out looking for some more wide-angled prime, preferably in the 20-28 mm segment. It would be good to be able to use it on my DSLR (D7000) as a approx 30-35 mm (so 20-24 mm) but having a wide lens would be nice for my F100 as well.

I've googled this to some extent and there seems to be multiple options, but I'd like to hear your recommendations. I'd prefer it the lens was small, semi-large aperture (f4 is good enough) and not very expensive, but I guess I can (at best) pick two of these.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really like my 24mm 2.8 Ai-S that I use on my Nikon FMs. Great little wide angle in my opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like both sizes.(20 & 24) The 24mm would be less expensive. Most 20-24 would be 2.8, I'm not sure about Nikon.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Both the Nikon 50mm F2.8 and the 28mm F2 lenses are very hard to beat. I have used both at some time or other in the past and can vouch for them. I did find that the manual focus versions are a tad better though. I wonder if it is the manufacturing tolerances required for these lenses to focus easily in AF mode could be to be partially to blame. Certainly the prices asked for by Nikon would suggest that more care is taken in their manufacture (notwithstanding more AF lenses are sold in this day and age)

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of Nikon's wide angle primes. I read bad things about the 28mm f/2.8D, but I when I got one to try a few years ago, it was fine. I believe my 24mm f/2.8 AI is the best lens I own, optically anyway. It has CRC, a 52mm filter thread, and can be reversed for macro.

I haven't tried the 20mm primes, but the f/4 and f/3.5 (new) versions are both tiny and accept 52mm filter threads as well.

I think you should make your decision based on the field of view you're after, rather than what people say about "bokeh" or "sharpness". Some people love ultrawides and some people avoid them. I belong to the former group; my 18mm is tied with my 50mm as my most used lens (the 18 I have is huge and hard to find though).

I should mention that it took me a long time to get used to using a wide angle; it's really hard at first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd prefer it the lens was small, semi-large aperture (f4 is good enough) and not very expensive, but I guess I can (at best) pick two of these.

Nikon Nikkor 28mm F/3.5 AI/AI-s. Inexpensive, compact, very well built, and an excellent lens. Will matrix/spot/cw meter on on the D7000 and spot/cw meter on the F100.
    Last edited by jdsanika; 08-05-2012 at 05:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon has many excellent lenses in that FL range.

You might check the listings at KEH.

They have an excellent selection of lenses that will give you an idea of what is available, and at what prices.

http://www.keh.com

Click on 35mm at the left side of the home page, then on Nikon Manual Focus, then on Fixed Focal Length lenses.
    Note that the display defaults to 25 items, but you can expand it to All with the pull-down box option.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Large Format
    A 24-28mm is a nice wide angle for a 35mm camera. Like LJSLATER says when you get to 20mm and wider they are much harder to use because of distortion. They also get much more expensive.

Remember that your wide angle lens (for a 35mm camera or full Sensor DSLR) will not look as wide on your D7000 because the sensor is cropped.

A 50mm wide angle is a very nice focal length for a 6x6 like your Bronica. It would be similar to a 28mm on a 35mm camera. A 40mm would be more like a 24mm on a 35mm camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you're just buying one lens, then a 28mm would make a sensible pairing with the 50mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    If you're just buying one lens, then a 28mm would make a sensible pairing with the 50mm.
    I agree with this entirely, a 20mm is too wide as your only wide angle and of limited usefulness for general photography, a 28mm is a much better partner for a 50mm lens.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin