Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,919   Posts: 1,521,982   Online: 1090

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJSLATER View Post
    The MD-2 has a plastic gear that loves to self-destruct. Get an MD-1 or consult Sover Wong for an easy fix for the MD-2. I have an MD-1; it's damned heavy but I can't imagine life without it, mostly because I like having a hand grip (I don't use a camera strap; my camera needs to be in my hand, ready to go, or else it doesn't get used).

If you can get a battery pack with the AA holders, lithium batteries work great. They make the camera top-heavy though.
    Got brass gears in mine. Use it all the time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00152.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	425.9 KB 
ID:	63205
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thirty-plus years of steady (and often times heavy) use and not one of my four MD2 drives has experienced "gear failure." Either I have been unusually lucky or the issue has been overblown...
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my F2 all the time.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Bradley, what serial range are we talking about? Only well-used late model drives develop the problem. The one I had was in the 446xxx range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    Bradley, what serial range are we talking about? Only well-used late model drives develop the problem. The one I had was in the 446xxx range.
    Mine range from 425xxx on the F2(DE1)bodies to 460xxx + on the F2A/F2ASs. At what vintage of drive do the problems appear?
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    35mm

F2 Use

Wouldn't leave home without the F2 Titan. And the F3 Titan!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    Mine range from 425xxx on the F2(DE1)bodies to 460xxx + on the F2A/F2ASs. At what vintage of drive do the problems appear?
    Right around the 440xxx serial range, also when Nikon switched to the often-broken black plastic tabs to hold the body in place. So, probably around the time that the MD-3 and AW-1 were introduced. The gears tend to wear out on the MD-2's with heavy use, so, with a gently used MD-2, you might not yet notice it, whereas, with a beater, it'll quack like a duck when it advances the film. When you've a chance, I'd probably send the newer drives to Sover and have him replace the gears with the brass gears. Supposedly also makes the drives quieter than new.

-J
    APUG: F5, F4s, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes indeed, about 85% of the time. MD2 motor-drive needs new gears from Sover, I wore it out, ha!

Bet regards,

/Clay

Shooter
    35mm
    I do like following threads where people extol the reliability and build quality of their equipment. I like hefty, well constructed and (sometimes) well-crafted and tactile cameras. But reading through this thread from the first post on just highlighted the clichés used like cheap currency. "Built like a tank" - please, stop saying that. Is it a good thing? Heavy, unwieldy... just over-used phrase and not at all meaningful any more. And "hammer nails with it" - really? Has anyone tried it? Don't think any camera will stand up that. And it is also a boring, banal statement. "It's a weapon" - yes, in as much as any moderately heavy object can be. So what. Your camera is heavy. Big deal.

Like this thread though - nice info and love for a good camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Viggi View Post
    I do like following threads where people extol the reliability and build quality of their equipment. I like hefty, well constructed and (sometimes) well-crafted and tactile cameras. But reading through this thread from the first post on just highlighted the clichés used like cheap currency. "Built like a tank" - please, stop saying that. Is it a good thing? Heavy, unwieldy... just over-used phrase and not at all meaningful any more. And "hammer nails with it" - really? Has anyone tried it? Don't think any camera will stand up that. And it is also a boring, banal statement. "It's a weapon" - yes, in as much as any moderately heavy object can be. So what. Your camera is heavy. Big deal.

Like this thread though - nice info and love for a good camera.
    A tank is made of metal, used generously. Hammer nails? Yes, small nails, without doing much more than cosmetic damage. Weapon? There's a purportedly true incident of a pro photographer bashing a would-be assailant on the head with an F or F2 in bolo mode, assailant went to the hospital, Nikon kept taking pictures.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin