Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,703   Online: 1141

Shooter
    35mm

Aside from the Samyang 14mm f/2.8: Any Affordable Fisheyes for Nikon F/FE?

Hey folks!

I'm looking at the Nikon mount version of the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 as an affordable fisheye option, mostly for shooting skateboarding. I've learned that it mounts successfully (with stop-down metering) on the Nikon F and FE, which are my two 35mm film SLRs.

What I'm curious about: what is this lens like on film? Is there any noticeable vignetting around the negative image? I shoot and print full frame, and do not intend to crop, so this is an important factor for me. Does it provide a full and accurate field of view on film (e.g. is 14mm actually 14mm on my Nikon F or FE)?

Any samples of this lens on a film SLR are greatly appreciated. Endless thanks to you all, and looking forward to reading your responses.

P.S. Recommendations for other Nikon mount fisheyes are also appreciated! Thanks again, APUG.

Best,
    Brandon

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Did you check out the Rokinon site? They make Samyang. You might ask around photonet, too. Rockwell's site has a "review" of the 8mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome to APUG, Brandon.

I used to own a Sigma 15mm fisheye which was good, had a huge petal shaped lens hood. I haven't seen a 2nd hand one so can't comment on cost but it was certainly cheaper than the 16mm Nikkor. I now own the Nikkor and that lens is wonderful. I bought mine for skateboarding, also.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isn't the Samyang 14/2.8 a wide angle lens and not a fisheye?
    Both WA and fisheye will give you nice skateboarding pics, but different. Try borrowing before you buy to help you make up your mind. My choice would be fisheye of 15-16mm so that you will get a full picture and not just a circle like the 8mm ones will give you (I use my 16mm a lot more than my 8mm).
    Now and then there is a cheap fisheye so just keep looking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a Zenitar 16mm fisheye once which compared quite well to a Zeiss 16mm.

Soviet sample quality may vary, but good ones can be very good.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Jesper the SamYang is a super wide angle with weird distortion. It does cover the 35mm Ken Rockwell even recommend's it for Full Format use only. If you want Super wide angle Voigtländer/ made a few for Nikon. A cheap way to get a Fisheye lens is to use a Fisheye adaptor on your lens. Image quality will suffer though.

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    You might find an old Sigma 16/2.8.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin