Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,509   Online: 790

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
    I use one of these, too, or a sharp pair of scissors, whichever I find first.

Safety tip, do not run with the scissors while looking for the kaiser cutter.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just wonder if dragging the negs through those cutter devices will scratch them (the negatives) in a serious way. Of course, cutting w/ scissors on a light box or white paper presents the same danger in some ways.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I'd like to see that. Will a machete do?

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    One of the reasons I like the cutter I recommended is that only one of my two hands is capable of either accurately holding film still or cutting film with scissors

A "guillotine" type cutter solves that problem - my weaker hand is quite capable of handling the blade.
    Matt, that's a really good point that I did not consider. I actually want to apologize for overlooking the possibility of having a physical impediment to using the tools I am used to. Thanks for the reminder.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Like others, I find this post amazing. Without meaning to be personal, perhaps you need reading glasses. This is not a question of kit or special cutting devices, just correct observation and a sharp pair of sissors.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Matt, that's a really good point that I did not consider. I actually want to apologize for overlooking the possibility of having a physical impediment to using the tools I am used to. Thanks for the reminder.
    Thomas:

Absolutely no apologies are necessary.

And for those who recommend sharp scissors, I would add:

1) A light source below the negatives or slides will improve accuracy and repeatability; and
    2) If you are like me, and are left handed, make sure the scissors are specifically designed for left handed users.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Like others, I find this post amazing. Without meaning to be personal, perhaps you need reading glasses. This is not a question of kit or special cutting devices, just correct observation and a sharp pair of sissors.

The comment is unnecessary.
    Many other considerations come into play. For example, people who lack fine motor control, who are not ambidextrous, who have little experience in placement and measure with unfamiliar tools... still those too, with visual impairment, Graves disease or trembling. None of these is or should be a consideration to forbid 'having a go' at something which can be a marvellous personal achievement in the face of adversity.

So...there is a lot we can all learn by sitting back and reading of individual methods of achieving things.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    None of these symptoms were mentioned in the original post.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To OP:

I find it easier and allows more accurate aim if I cut my strips over a light box. I also find it easier if I flip the negative up side down (emulsion side up) and cut. I observe where the center is relative to the sprocket holes and aim. Smaller scissors with thin and skinny blades are easier than big ones.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    None of these symptoms were mentioned in the original post.

We're not talking about symptoms, but different capacities of individuals. It matters. Not everybody can master cutting negs/trannies with precision. Likewise, sewing for many people is difficult and challenging. You learn something about yourself by making mistakes doing things like cutting negs/trannies. It galvanises you to do better. My first mistake many moons ago was using a pair of crosscut-jaw dressmaking scissors to cut my unmounted Kodachrome. Needless to say it was the worst hatchet job you could imagine. AND, I had better vision way back then than I do now.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin