Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,289   Posts: 1,535,369   Online: 802

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well we learn by our mistakes.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Dr. T film cutter sounds like a plan...I use regular scissors and I'm always worried about messing it up..The gadget sounds a lot easier and less stressful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whenever I chop my negs (using scissors) I think of a paragraph posted years ago (maybe on photo.net before it was semi-graphical in nature.. maybe before photo.net even on greenspun.net or whatever it was...) on the subject (I made a copy but can't locate it) that managed to describe the tension and emotions of cutting negs in a paragraph of several lines. Wish I could find it as I think some here would appreciate it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Was it this one, Nige?

You have stumbled on one of life's great questions - how not to make mistakes. The obvious answer is to do nothing. But this is the biggest mistake of all, since you will end up having accomplished nothing. The best solution is to not shy from anything - but to learn to concentrate on what you are doing. This sounds obvious, but how often are you thinking of the next thing you need to do or of something you've already done while you do a simple task, and end up screwing up? I find that concentrating on whatever I'm about gets the job done quicker, easier, and more often correctly and even creatively than when my mind is divided. The trick is to learn to do it amidst all the distractions that beset us nowadays. So go ahead and attack your film with scissors. Just pay attention!

-- Keith Nichols, February 15, 2001.
    Found it here: http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-an...?msg_id=004cTG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well done! my searching abilities obviously need work... however my memory isn't to bad!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've bought a Dr. T film cutter from eBay a few minutes ago. Just want to see how much less of a chore it is to cut several trannies for use. He assures me it has a very sharp blade and is friction fed with no danger of scratching. Still need a cotton gloved hand on the left side to progressively pull through. I'll keep the Fiskars hands for trimming archival card / polypropylene masks.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    well done! my searching abilities obviously need work... however my memory isn't to bad!
    My google-foo is mighty! Also, I'd come across it previously too, and your mention struck a chord.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    Was it this one, Nige?

Found it here: http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-an...?msg_id=004cTG
    I shed a single tear after reading that

I do think he makes a good point though. People tend to live in the future too often.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use scissors so that I can nip the corners off at a 45 degree angle. The film slides in the sleeves much easier that way. Large format gets snipped at all 4 corners as well.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I use scissors so that I can nip the corners off at a 45 degree angle. The film slides in the sleeves much easier that way. Large format gets snipped at all 4 corners as well.
    Nail clippers are another good way to nip off the corners.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin