Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,050   Online: 931

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    I bought my Pentax Spotmatic new in 1966. It was my first "real" camera. I still have it.

The thing has the same feel as my Leica M2, just a little heavier. The fact that the thing works just as well now as it did when I bought it back in '66
    must be a testament to how well it was built.

I don't think my Canon G11 will last 46 years.
    I also bought my first Spot in 1966, used with 3 lens kit, 50 1.8, 135 3.5 and 35 3.5, still have the kit but over years added another body and some other 42mm mount bodies and lens. My frist Spot is in good working order even the light meter, but the other spot's meter is off. I have gone though Nikon, F, F2, F3 and Konica T which I no longer have. A couple of times a year I take the spots out for a shoot. Easy to use, light weight and the lens are just tack sharp.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like a common tale, Richard. For us anyway downsizing will mean going to a house that is about 1/3 of our current one. I could elaborate, but it might sound like complaining and actually I'm very thankful for many things.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Going back in time
    Since I have enjoyed using Pentax Spotmatics since the late 1960s, I cannot say that I am going back in time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/6095358701/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pentax Spotmatic 08 sml.JPG  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Although I am not one to restore cameras, like Thomas said, I can relate to your enjoyment of figuring things out! The more time I work with my hands to do something albeit make a print, clean a lens, read about photography, draw in a sketch book an envisioned future shot; it is about enjoying life...kudos to your retirement! I'm thrilled you are enjoying something you love!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a Pentax K1000 in '76 because it was the only camera I could afford with two young kids and a wife. Took mostly slides because they were cheap in those days. Now, like you, I'm retired and enjoy different film formats and going to the darkroom. I also enjoy working with wood, so I make my own frames and cut my own mats.
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Andy and Bob for the replies

I don't know how I had time to do anything when I was working because I don't have enough time in the day to do everything I want to do now.
    As on now, I have 6 spotmatics that are cleaned/lubed/meter working good/ and just good to look at. Also about 6 still in the box to work on.
    My next project is getting some pentax lenses and building that part up some. I have a bunch of 55mm/ 1:1.8 and 1:2.0 that are good. Also some offbrand others that I haven't shot with yet to see how sharp they are.

I am having fun and I don't miss working at all.

Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    I have 2 Spotmatics. I just picked up a SPII that came with the 35/3.5 Takumar. I already have the 50/1.4 that came with the other Spotmatic. Richard, what battery are you putting in your Spotmatics? I've read of people using so many different options. I see you live in NC & was wondering if I could get local here in Lexington. Just put new seals in the SPII so I hope to get to shooting soon & check the meter.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Remind me again, how did Pentax get away with it? Spotmatic was neither.

I didn't get automatic until ESII, even then the lens still had "Auto" but aperture wasn't.

I didn't get spot until I switched to Olympus OM-4.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Remind me again, how did Pentax get away with it? Spotmatic was neither.
    The original Spot-Matic (prototype) was a spot meter and first through the lens shown in Photokina. Also, spot was relatively fat circle until more modern times and probably never considered as a true spot by today's standard.
    And of course depending on how far back you go, automatic meant something different as the years progressed. Automatic mirror return, automatic aperture close, automatic exposure, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gb hill View Post
    I have 2 Spotmatics. I just picked up a SPII that came with the 35/3.5 Takumar. I already have the 50/1.4 that came with the other Spotmatic. Richard, what battery are you putting in your Spotmatics? I've read of people using so many different options. I see you live in NC & was wondering if I could get local here in Lexington. Just put new seals in the SPII so I hope to get to shooting soon & check the meter.

Hey
    I have one that has a 394 battery ( watch battery or hearing aid battery, no sure ) and one that has a 400 battery that is still good. I normally don't use the meter but all 6 that I have working good, the meters work fine. When I went through them, about the only thing I had to do on the meter circuit was clean the batt. dept good and expecially the screw on cap for good contact. Then while inside, I cleaned the contact on the bottom side and deoxized the variable resistor in the top. Then installed the battery and took a gray card and turned the resistor until it centered the scale. I took the main reading to go by with a hand meter that I know was good.
    I used music valve oil on the working parts.
    They work very smooth. I don't like cameras that try to control me instead of me controling them.
    New seals are coming tomorrow and I'll finish up with them.
    Lexington is not far from me. Maybe we can get together sometime and meet. Or if you are up this way to the mountains, give me a shout and we can meet. I live close to Morganton.

Thanks
    Richard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin