Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,633   Online: 860

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F100 Broken Internal Diopter

I recently bought a Nikon F100 off of KEH. It's a beautiful camera, but upon inspection I noticed that the internal diopter adjustment is off track or not engaging. The adjustment screw rotates freely when pulled out and does not change the diopter setting. It also rattles back and forth slightly. The digital readout in the viewfinder is OOF, but the camera focuses properly (Duh, but just in case you were wondering).

The camera was listed as an EX without any information about a broken diopter so I could exchange it, but I was planning on taking it with me to Colorado on Tuesday. Proper judgement says to just return it, but I'm stubborn.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with a repair of this issue. I'd be willing to put up with the problem until I can fix it myself or pay to have it fixed if it is economical.

So, my questions are: How much of a PITA was it to fix the diopter yourself or how much did it cost you to have someone else do it? Also does anyone have a PDF of the official repair manual they would be willing to e-mail me?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You do know, KEH will pay for the return shipping if you call them and tell them of your problem, right?

Any competent repair person will charge you, on average, 75 dollars or so an hour labor to fix your camera.

I just looked at mine. You can screw off the view finder glass by rotating it counter clock wise. Once you do that, you see there is a glass assembly that (is supposed to) move in and out as you rotate the diopter adjustment. When you pull out the dipoter adjustment knob, it engages and as you rotate, the lens assembly inside moves.

Strictly by feel, the parts feels plastic. If they are busted, you'll need to get replacement parts - which may be next to impossible for individuals.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin