Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,246   Online: 742

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon F5 and Photo Secretary

I was reading about the Photo Secretary in the Nikon System Handbook and was wondering if any one still uses it. I don't have a cable and was wondering if they are still available. Could this be run on an XP based computer or is the software to old. Just wondering if other F5 users still have this up and running.
    Marvin

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes I use the photo secretary software with a Windows based system. It was designed for Windows 95 but run fine on Windows XP. There is only one problem when running on Windows XP that the setup program couldn't make the short cut on the start menu so you would have to do it yourself. Otherwise it's fine. I bought the Nikon cable but there were some third party cable available. I don't think either the software nor the cable is available any more. If you can find the cable then shoot me a message or email.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes, it works on XP and WIN 7. Trick is finding the patch cord.

Rockwell as some details on it (scroll down this page: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/f5/users-guide.htm)
    See also: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...tary/index.htm

I use the MV-1 data reader for the F5/F6 which downloads EXIF data from the camera to a mem card. The MV-1 on eBay typically $70-85.

Shooter
    35mm
    Since I don't care much for the shooting data so the MV-1 doesn't work for me. I use the photo secretary mostly for custom settings. Oh, your computer must have a serial port to use it though. I have not tried a usb to serial converter so I don't know if it would work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the information. A quick search on ebay did not show any MC-33 cables so I guess that would be the hard part. Someone may still have copies of the software laying around. I am a Network Technician so sometimes I have to make up special cables for equipment but I don't know if you could find the connectors or the pinout.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Thanks for all the information. A quick search on ebay did not show any MC-33 cables so I guess that would be the hard part. Someone may still have copies of the software laying around. I am a Network Technician so sometimes I have to make up special cables for equipment but I don't know if you could find the connectors or the pinout.
    I thought I downloaded the schematic diagram for a homemade cable somewhere but I couldn't find it now. It requires an active circuit and not simply wires and connectors.
    On this webpage there is a cable designed for the F100 but I think it would work with the F5 too.
    http://www.schneordesign.com/Avi/F100/
    Last edited by Chan Tran; 08-11-2012 at 04:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin