Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,405   Online: 695

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    If this is the lens I was looking at earlier today I suspect all that is wrong is oil on the blades that have locked it up. Oil from the helicoid will over time outgas and deposit on the blades making them sluggish and after sitting up for long periods of time will not move..

This is an easy fix for a repairman.

If it goes over $375 I'd forget it since the added cost of a CLA would push it over real value..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    35mm
    Leicarfcam ... My exact sentiments . Above that, and I will wait for the next opportunity. And now we wait ... I'll keep you posted if I win or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is stuck on 1.2? What is the problem. You are not going to pay all that money and then stop it down are you?

Shooter
    35mm
    Lol.. No it's definitely a fast lens, that I'll be using mostly at 1.2. But I would like to be able to stop down at 2.0 though. In any case..I won the bid! Now we wait for delivery. Hopefully Canada Customers won't hold it up long or charge me an arm and a leg in customs fees (I doubt it).

Shooter
    35mm

It's arrived

And I have had time to reference other sites regarding the disassembly of the lens as well as getting the required tools. Everything was in place and i proceeded with instructions accessed from two sites ( http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/58mm_rokkor_disassembly and http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...7&changemode=1 Well... I ran into an issue e mediately.. won't go into details but .. I have access the aperture assembly and am in the process of cleaning them. I expect the re-assembly to be the proverbial %&%^& . Will keep you posted.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dissasembled.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	656.8 KB 
ID:	56308
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	454.4 KB 
ID:	56307

Shooter
    35mm

Uh Oh ...

Well, the apertures are all cleaned up and functioning well. The dissambly didn't go as planned though, and as a result ended up messing with the helicoid assembly. This I believe is causing me so much headaches. I get to the point where everything seems to be fitting and interacting okay, but as soon as I screw in the final 4 screws into the mount plate that screw into the aperture ring (that screws into the main body ring), everything goes south. The focus ring that used to focus from the minimum to infinity, stops well short of infinity. The aperture adjust ring doesn't open the blades, or at lrast not completely.. I believe it centers aroung the 2 piece helicod assembly. If anyone out there has any experience or suggestions (other than send it in to a camera repair shop*), PLEASE feel free to help! (*repair shop is a definate possibility, but is seems that I am so close to having this working propperly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh oh! if you've split the helicoid and not marked where things were when it came apart then you're in for a bit of fun...

Your main problem is the front part of the helicoid - the one with the coarse thread (the one the front lens group is screwed into) is in the wrong thread and is not going back far enough into the lens body to allow infinity focus. You need to take the rear mount off, then unscrew the front helicoid, and restart the helicoid one tread to the right, then reassemble.

You may need to do this a few times, as you amy also need to adjust the rear helicoids position (the one with the fine thread) around 1/5th of a turn each time until you get it in the right position.

The right position is one where the aperture unit is in the right position so yu can screw the rear mount back on without the aperture unit being tight, and that allows you to focus the lens to infinity..

I hope this makes sense?? If not send me a PM and I'll try to answer your questions
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    That is exactly what happened. And you know..I had the best setup... I had a video camera ready to record the entire disassembly process. Pen and note pad at the ready. Every conceivable tool at the ready just in case. But then, I got rolling and .. well, you know the rest. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=#000000]I had been at it for 9 hours straight and decided to throw in the towel. After 2 days of this stuff..I had my fill and was was going to send it to a repair service in Toronto, since there aren't any in Montreal that I am aware of. So I assembled it in the way I thought would make most sense, not really expecting the focus or aperture ring to really work. But God must look after idiots, because would you believe it, the focus ring worked as did the aperture settings. After ready your reply, I checked out the infinity focus, ND Unfortunately, it does not focus to infinity. I made a post in a Flickr group called "Minolta Rokkor f/1.2" where I posted my situation. I got one reply very similar to yours, without mentioning having to possibly adjust the real lens group however. I REALLY would like to avoid a complete disassemble once again.. Can I not, in your opinion, adjust the front helicoid by going in from the front only? (Removing the front lens group via a spanner wrench and adjusting from there? Oh.. and if I do this...just want to make sure my "right" and your "right" are the same..Lol.. When you say "[/COLOR][/FONT]restart the helicoid one tread to the right, then reassemble.", I am I to assume you are A) looking down the barrel from the rear lens group out to the front lens group or, B) facing the front lens group looking down to the rear lens group? This is going to turn out into "Helicoid hell" I am sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
    Oh oh! if you've split the helicoid and not marked where things were when it came apart then you're in for a bit of fun...
    +1

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I managed to get the focus to go to infinite, and the arpeture works just fine. Took me about 2 hours, but in the end all is well... except.. Now I have an issue with the mount ring. Specifically, the lever that stops down the aperture blades is extremely stiff. The lever will not move unless I physically move it myself. The aperture step down pin from within the aperture assembly is working fine by the way. But between the spring on the mounting ring mechanism, and the spring pulling back the pin from within the arpeture assembly, both will no reset the arpeture lever on the mounting ring. (Sorry, I am no doubt using part descriptions, but I hope you get the general idea

The mount ring from what I understand, consists of two parts: The outer ring, that connects to the camera body, and an inner ring. By removing the shorter screws from the mounting ring, the two pieces will seperate. It is my understanding that there are ball bearing between the two pieces. I have not as of yet, seperated these two pieces. (A bit gun shy, you might say) . I am assuming at this point that the ball bearings are being pressed or compressed? I tried backing off all the screws and bringing them back down evenly and in rotation. I am able to get them all down, but not particularly tight. The mechanism will work, but getting them all down tight is proving to be an exercise in minute adjustments. Am I on the right track here, or is symptomatic of some other issue.
    Is there some magic involved here, or is this lens indeed possessed?
    Last edited by MrFizzbin; 09-01-2012 at 07:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin