Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,306   Online: 817

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta Rokkor MC PG f 1.2

Greetings and salutations all. This is my first post by the way. I was wondering if you could assist me on a lens I would dearly like to obtain. I have a good possibility in getting the above-mentioned lens. There is a hitch however: The present owner states that the aperture setting is stuck at f 1.2 . He says it used to work fine, but hasn't used it in a few years. He believes reason the aperture is stuck "is that the internal lubrication has migrated onto the aperture blades and oiled them so they would need to be cleaned" . Now, I really have wanted to get this lens and am willing to take the risk to a certain extent. My problem is: 1). getting it professionally repaired seems like it's going to be an issue. Preliminary searches for my area (Montreal, Canada) has come up negative. So, I am floating a request to anyone out there if they know of anyone who would service a Canadian customer. My alternative is to see if I can repair myself. I did some research and could pull off some minor disassembling to clean the aperture blades.. but nothing more. So my second question is: would you recommend repairing myself, or am I nutz to even consider this "big in a polk"?

Anyways, and input would be greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a great lens, however cameras and lenses that have sat for years require a CLA [Clean, Lubricate and Adjust]. Do not even think this is a do you yourself job. This requires a professional repairman. I do not know of someone in your part of Canada to recommend, nor do I have an idea of the cost. You are better off passing on this one. Another and better one will come along.

Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Try Toronto Camera Service
    http://www.torontocameraservice.com/

They fixed my MC 35mm F1.8 with oil on the blades as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG..

In a previous life (when I was a camera technician) I repaired a couple...it's one of the easiest 58mm/1.2 lenses I've repaired....especially compared to something like a Canon R sereies 58/1.2...

Would I recommend tackling the repair? Only if you have cleaned the diaphragm blades on several lenses in the past, and are comfortable dismantling lenses..

The lens shouldn't present much of a problem to an old camera technician - someone who has been in the repair business for say 20+ years...

I'd happily service it for you - except that I'm in Australia, and the postal service between our 2 countries can at best be described as terrible.....

To be honest whether you would/should buy it depends on how much he wants for the lens.....have a look at what they've sold for on ebay in the past, and if you can get it for half that price then it's worth considering...

They are a great lens (I've owned a couple). From personal experience I think you need to ask yourself one question - are you ever going to stop it down past full aperture??

Cheers

Andrew
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the quick reply folks. Right now, it's sitting at $250.00 with 5 days to go. This lens has been going for $400-500.00 on average from what I can see. It's getting close to what I figure I want to pay for a lens with stuck aperture blades. There are a few youtube repair videos floating around, and as you say Andrew, it's seems to be an easy disassemble. If I can clean the blades then great..if not, 1.2 it is. Guess I'll wait till we get closer to the final hours of this auction ... In the meantime I'll visit your recommended site Silent..Thanks again all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFizzbin View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply folks. Right now, it's sitting at $250.00 with 5 days to go. This lens has been going for $400-500.00 on average from what I can see. It's getting close to what I figure I want to pay for a lens with stuck aperture blades. There are a few youtube repair videos floating around, and as you say Andrew, it's seems to be an easy disassemble. If I can clean the blades then great..if not, 1.2 it is. Guess I'll wait till we get closer to the final hours of this auction ... In the meantime I'll visit your recommended site Silent..Thanks again all.
    You don't know it's oil on the blades. You won't know anything about it until you have it disassembled and diagnosed. You are truly buying a pig in a poke.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could look up KEH.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    There were two versions of MC. The older one has metal focus ring while the newer version has rubber. I have the newer version and it is a massive chunk of glass!

Good luck!

Shooter
    35mm
    This one is the older version: milled metal focus ring and silver aperture ring. It's serial number starts in the 200 range. Not sure if this one would have a radioactive coated rear element. My research is not conclusive on this point, but the serial number would put it as a strop possibility. It shows no sign of yellowing. (Even if it did, I wouldn't be to concerned as there are ways to treat it. Once again, the aperture is stuck wide open at f 1.2 . I'd be more worried if it was stuck at f 16. It also has somewhat of a sentimental value as well. My father had bought the Minolta SR 7 back in the 60's . He passed away a few years later when I was very young. By the early 80's, (in my foolish youth), decided to try to see if I could sell the camera ( and yes, ..It had a MC PG 58mm f 1.2). I needed the money to get a zoom lens for my newly acquired Minolta X 700 , lol. Well, the shop wasn't interested in the SR 7 of course, but he was more than happy to buy the lens. (Don't remember how much he bought it for..certainly less than $100.00 ). Funny how things come full circle ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin