Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,885   Online: 1067

Shooter
    Multi Format

Any ideas on what this weird distortion is?

I'm not even sure if the thread title accurately describes what we're looking at here, because I'm not even sure what to call this "distortion" (the only term I can think of). Maybe some of you guys might know or if there is another thread or site that had a similar/same issue and it got resolved you can point me in the direction. I'm not even sure what terms to search, so I apologize if this has been talked about earlier.

Essentially there is some weird marks on my (scanned ) photos which cause things to look out of place. This originally occurred on one photo (the first attachment) back in June. The photo is of an atrium in a shopping mall, and with all the steel & glass architecture, I figured it was originally just something on the windows or something like that. I revisited the site myself shortly after to discover there was nothing there. I shrugged it off as maybe something that was removed either by people or nature (depending on if it was outside or inside). Considering it was just 1 photo (despite being one I quite liked), I just let it be.

In July, I started noticing it even more, but it still wasn't common. Most rolls wouldn't even have anything of this sort. In hindsight, I'm not quite sure why I didn't start looking into this then, but oh well. Last night, ridding photos of dust from a photoshoot, I discovered this was now occurring on colour photos too (whereas it'd only been on B&W previously).

The problem is, it really isn't noticeable unless you really enlarge or zoom in or look closely, so it isn't always very apparent. I'm hoping like my last issue this is just a scanner thing, not lab. Of course, I can't tell on the negatives because it would be very tiny if it was on there. Is it maybe dust?

Here are three close up crops of this "distortion". All three with Ilford HP5+ 400, first one with Nikon F80, the other two with F90.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img927.jpg   img559.jpg   img541.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks like there is snot on your scanner glass. Or your negatives.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you think they may be scanning artifacts, rotate the negative 90 degrees and see what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    If you think they may be scanning artifacts, rotate the negative 90 degrees and see what happens.
    What he said.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry for the late response. Yeah, I'm not sure how I would rotate by 90 degrees due to the neg holder and special placement of it. I did however, rotate the negatives 180 degrees so they'd scan upside down and the markings were removed from that frame. So luckily it is the scanner (again!), but not sure what is causing it. The glass (particularly the region the negatives are held) is generally kept pretty clean. I'll inquire myself and if I have any questions regarding this, I'll let you guys know.

Shooter
    35mm
    The image with the grain in the sky(?) looks exactly like a badly spotted print when using photoshop.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin