Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,612   Online: 809

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Sharpest half frame camera available?

Toyed around with this 35mm f/3.5 enlarging lens and cropped the hell out some atp and was very impressed with.

So I wouldn't mind getting something suitably sharp to use with atp and this lens.

I'm guessing there is probably a half frame camera taking 35 lenses somewhere but not my area of expertise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robot cameras are great but expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would think the Olympus Pen F series would be a good choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Olympus Pen F lenses were some of the best made in any camera system, hence their price now.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Unless the film plane is not aligned properly or the mirror vibration is too great it is the lens you count on for sharpness, not the camera. The Konica Auto Reflex can shoot either full frame or half frame. It accepts Konica AR mount lenses. The camera dates back to 1965 and has the CdS meter cell on the outside of the body, not behind the lens. If you can live with that you have a great lens selection. The 38/1.8 was standard Olympus lens for the Pen SLRs. Some nice Konica lenses which can serve as a standard with the Auto Reflex include the 35/2, 40/1.8 and 28/1.8. The 40 is not terribly expensive and is very sharp. The 28/1.8 often has oil on the aperture blades. This can be fixed. The 35/2 is usually found in good condition. It came out in about 1970 and was probably a little pricey for someone who would be buying a Konica. There are a lot more 35/2 Nikkors floating around. Some longer and still very sharp lenses to consider would be the 50/1.4 (either version), 55/3.5 Macro, 85/1.8, 135/3.2 and 200/3.5. On the shorter end, I like the later compact version of the 24/2.8 and the 21/4. You could also get a Nikon to Konica adapter and find a 55/2.8 AIS Nikkor. You would not have auto diaphragm control but infinity focus is preserved. The 55/2.8 AIS Nikkor wil give even the highest resolution film a run for the money. Adapters also allow the use of M42 and Exakta mount lenses. Greg Weber is a good source for all things Konica. You can reach him at 402-721-3873 or at gweber@webercamera.com.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Alpa. Serious money, though.

Or Olympus Pen W. Still expensive, but cheaper than Alpa.

Cheers,

R.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I forgot to mention a very nice half frame camera which is seldom seen. It's the Konica F-1 Motor Pro Half. Konica made a conversion kit for the FT-1 which turned it into a half frame camera. The FT-1 has built-in film advance, a sensitive and fast meter and a nice finder. I have only ever seen one of these. The sharpness you get will depend more on the lens than the camera as long as the camera is in good condition and the film is flat. Some document film are coated on such thin bases that the film does not sit completely flat. That causes problems regardless of what lens is used. If you are just determined to test the limits of the enlarging lens then shoot full frame and enlarge from the center.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tessina.

Excellent quality Swiss-made TLR, not a toy.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Tessina.

Excellent quality Swiss-made TLR, not a toy.

- Leigh
    + 1

There are two mirrors in the system and they do not move.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    I would think the Olympus Pen F series would be a good choice.
    i have used one of these for many years,
    great camera, sharp lens ( if you like sharp )
    and nice bookeeeey wide open if you prefer that down the road.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin