Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,170   Online: 867

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't think storage had anything to do with it. I recently sold my five Zeiss lenses from my Contax 139 camera. They were from the early 80's and were always stored the same way and never had any oil problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winternight View Post
    The grease has not run all over the lens, fortunately, but might the way its stored cause the oil to leak? I leave my lens inside of its caseAttachment 55677 standing up with the front of the lens pointing up. I have also included a photo of the substance to see if possible some of you could possible help me any further, because I really really appreciate all the help the great people of this great forum have helped me with.
    Storing the lens in a hot environment could cause the grease to deteriorate faster. The fact that oil is present means the lens must be disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled with new grease, not oil. Get it serviced, this is the only solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Guilty of oversimplification... Balsam is a resinous, saplike substance obtained from the Canadian balsam fir tree which has been filtered, purified or processed in some way to make it suitable for use as an optical cement.
    I recently recemented a RR on an old folding Kodak that was my grandfather's. I used balsam collected from local trees, the only processing neccesary was to warm it, and let the particulate matter settle out. I figured it was worth a try.
    Do not trust those Canadians! Especially the Canadiens! They are all living close to our northern boarder just waiting for an opportunity to attach and take us over! They even want to ship their tar sands to us!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Storing the lens in a hot environment could cause the grease to deteriorate faster. The fact that oil is present means the lens must be disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled with new grease, not oil. Get it serviced, this is the only solution.
    All the siriusness aside from the previous post, this advice is spot on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ummm, you do know that the Adirondaks are not in Canada, right?

Edit - And now that I've actually looked at the picture the OP posted, I must say that whatever is in the lens, next to that screw, it isn't oil. Looks like some sort of cement to prevent the screw loosening.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 08-18-2012 at 12:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ummm, you do know that the Adirondaks are not in Canada, right?

Edit - And now that I've actually looked at the picture the OP posted, I must say that whatever is in the lens, next to that screw, it isn't oil. Looks like some sort of cement to prevent the screw loosening.
    Sure, that is why I said that using a local sap was better than the Canadian/Canadien saps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Sure, that is why I said that using a local sap was better than the Canadian/Canadien saps.
    But it came from canada balsam trees..... I should have checked for green cards.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 08-18-2012 at 01:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I should have elaborated more. I meant storage position. You are of course right about storage in a hot environment.

It may be cheaper to buy another used one depending on how much it costs to service it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin