Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,672   Posts: 1,481,823   Online: 1125

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpzil View Post
    Congratulations on your new MX! My ME Super is my favorite all-purpose camera
    I also have an ME Super here which I tried to give to someone at work who already has a couple of Pentax cameras but... He is now using some other new fangled electrical technology to create his photographs!

I'm going to try it out myself first but I will probably give it away eventually. I'm definitely keeping the MX though.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Electrically-created photographs?! Why, that'll never catch on.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some 8x10 negatives I need to go develop and print, I'll see you all in a couple weeks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I will be honest here, back in the mid 70's when I first got "into" photography, I remember the fanatic Pentax guys around, but never actually knew anyone who had one. Then college and life surely took the photographer in me out until my late 40's when I returned to the majic of film. I remember Pentax but never had a clue that they had such a wonderful variety of cameras. I am utterly dumbfounded.......thanks for posting the pictures, examples and pentax forum website.

Now for the worst.......I think my wife still has her old Pentax she got YEARS before we got married (so we are talking about a very old model of camera) in a shoebox in her closet. Guess it's time to find that box and bring something back to life. I can't even tell you what model it is........

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    35mm
    The other M series bodies (such as ME, MV, MV1, ME Super, etc) are narrower than the MX. This is because they use a different shutter - the MX shutter mechanism is a development of the Spotmatic/K series one with cloth blinds. The other Ms use an electronically controlled metal leaf shutter which is presumably a development of the one in the K2.

If you find an MX too small then it's worth trying the winder. Pentax made two, one takes AA batteries while the other is more professionally oriented with a separate battery pack and higher frame rate. I have the AA type and it does improve the handling, although if you're planning to put the camera aside for a while between rolls you need to remember to release the shutter using the button on the camera - the winder will keep the shutter cocked which doesn't do the springs any good if left for long periods. Mine feel fine with an SMC Pentax 200mm f4 on the front and the winder underneath, and you can still fire the shutter with the winder switched off if quiet is essential.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For another take, the Super Program/Program A is only slightly larger than the Me/MeSuper, has a larger viewfinder, and has a very nice grip on the front and back which give it a much more solid feel to it. The grips are slightly diagonal and conform really well to my hand.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    For another take, the Super Program/Program A is only slightly larger than the Me/MeSuper, has a larger viewfinder, and has a very nice grip on the front and back which give it a much more solid feel to it. The grips are slightly diagonal and conform really well to my hand.
    Not quite true with regard to the viewfinder, but otherwise the super program is still a very capable and handy camera.

By the way, the MX has the largest viewfinder image of all 35mm Pentax cameras ever made, including the LX...

Regards,

Sven

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The MX really is a great and under-appreciated camera. I think I actually enjoy shooting with it more than my LX.

Shooter
    35mm
    The really under-rated ones have to be the P3/P30 series.

They're not hugely popular as they need batteries to work (but how hard is it to carry a couple of spare button cells?) and have a lot of plastic trim, but the chassis is metal from lens mount to tripod socket, the meter and shutter are accurate, the viewfinder is bright and displays shutter speed/mode/flash ready with Pentax dedicated flashguns, it has DOF preview and full manual mode. I'd actually recommend them over a K1000 for beginners as they're smaller, lighter, cheaper, have a better light meter and nicer handling thanks to that little finger grip on the front.

The only flaws are that you don't have manual control over film speed (they use DX coding) and early P3/P30s don't have a cable release socket (later ones and the n/t suffix upgrades do). The former isn't much of a problem as you can easily remember to change the settings by a given number of stops from what the meter says.

I've paid as little as 99p for one in full working order before now. £10-£20 will get you one with a lens, although you should check what you're getting as the non-SMC 28-80mm zoom bundled with some of them is terrible. Stick an M or A 50mm f1.7 on the front and it'll handle pretty much anything.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always enjoy Les Sarile's comparison images, what a great and easy way to see camera comparisons which are to scale!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both the MX and the ME-Super with winders, which I find makes the camera fit my not so large hands better. Wonderful picture takers, although why Pentax omitted a depth of field preview on the ME I'll never know. Same reason they omitted an AE lock on the LX, which otherwise is essentially perfect.

I also have an Olympus OM-10 with winder, which for whatever reason doesn't feel as good in the hands as the Pentax. Something to do with the contours of the winder, I think.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin