Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,187   Online: 1009

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Pentax MX - Smallest 35mm SLR body?

A work colleague gave me two bags of old camera stuff a couple of days ago. The idea is that I will keep what I want and give the rest away (look out for another thread).

I am going to keep the Pentax MX body, not because I need another 35mm system, but because of its compactness. I thought the Olympus OM series was small but I'm sure this is smaller.

Is this the most compact 35mm SLR or are there others in an even smaller size?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Pentax ME is a little smaller. You can take a look at the whole line here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/camerare...film-slrs.html
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    The MX is a tiny bit smaller across all dimensions and also weighs a few grams less then the OM-1. It has a slightly larger magnification but more conveniently uses readily available batteries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The ME and ME Super are both slightly smaller than the MX.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also have an ME Super but it looked to be very slightly larger than the MX although I didn't actually measure them.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    W - H - D

Pentax Me - 131 x 82.5 x49.5

Pentax ME Super - 131.5 x 83 x 49.5

Pentax MX - 135.8 x 82.5 x 49.3

Source - http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/bodies/film_M/index.html
    [COLOR=Lime]Let Kodak Go Now[/COLOR]

Shooter
    35mm
    The MX. Absolutely superb bit of kit, but too small for my hands I'm afraid. I stuck with a KX which is the same size as the old Pentax Spotmatics until I converted over to Nikon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I also have an ME Super but it looked to be very slightly larger than the MX although I didn't actually measure them.

Steve.
    I thought so too. I think because the MX is a bit wider so it looks not as tall and seems smaller.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, the MX is a great small camera. I recently sold mine because, for me, the ergonomics just weren't quite right. I missed the aperture priority of the A- and P- series Pentax bodies, and the ME and ME Supers, and I found the placement of the shutter speed dial a bit awkward to use with the camera at eye level with my fingers. Generally I never understand people who claim their hands are too big for a particular camera body, but in the case of the MX shutter dial, I did sort of understand.

However, the viewfinder, features (depth of field preview, etc) and general dimensions are perfect.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Love my MX, had no idea it was actually THIS small. But aren't the Olympus lenses smaller than the Pentax?

I think the MX handles perfectly and just feels right to me, and my hands are not particularly small.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin