Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,870   Posts: 1,583,307   Online: 1121

Shooter
    35mm

Olympus XA3 Problems...

I recently scored myself a "good" XA3 that was working when i got it, i managed to shoot a roll of c41 film to test it with and my first photos turned out great, i then moved on to E6, which i originally bought this camera for, taking photos on the snow during our snowboarding trips. After my first roll of E6 was shot on it, i put a new roll of film into it and was only able to take a couple of photos before the shutter stopped working and the green light comes on inside the viewfinder, at first i thought the battery for the light meter had ran out, even though the battery test made a good beep, i was told to buy a couple of SR44 cells for it, as they use alot of power, so he said. Anyway, it made no difference $14 later for 2 new batteries.
    Im just hoping its nothing major wrong with it, i initially thought maybe the camera got damp perhaps and damaged the electronics? my hands at times were wet from snow while using it, but the camera never really got wet.

TIA for any help, i dont know how about i go as far as repairs go with a half exposed film still inside.

Shooter
    35mm
    The XA series is tiny, sexy, nice, and other more perfidious four letter words. It's the damn shutter button that causes so much angst. I have disassembled the top part and was strucken with how cheaply made the contact mechanism is. Honestly, I do not know whether it is the actual metal not making contact or if there is a 'computer glitch' (because a few seconds later the button will fire nicely) but the frustration causes me, at least, to question the 'professionalism' of this camera. Olympus lenses are with the best but I have NEVER loved the OM series bodies either. The build quality is, in my estimation, not up to the Pentaxes, Minoltas, and Canons. Maitani sold a small SLR camera built primarily upon "sex appeal", although, again, his lenses are great. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Im happy enough with the image quality, and from what i gather, they generally are a pretty robust camera, not giving much trouble over their life, however, im unsure if its the light meter not functioning or a problem with the shutter button itself, i dont know how it comes apart to have a look, but ive still got an undeveloped film inside.

Shooter
    127 Format
    One thing to try... forceably hold the sliding cover all the way open when you take a picture.

Sometimes the XA series cameras do not make full contact with the interlock. Especially if the little latch pin is missing under the cover.

Worth a try
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    tried that, not the problem, the switch appears to be working too.

Shooter
    35mm
    You know, the more I think about it, Nzoomed, I really never 'felt' it was a contact problem on the Olympus XA types. There is something about the (computer? processor?) that causes me to think that THAT is the real problem here. When the shutter has failed I always seemed to 'know' that in a few seconds it would work well again (for a while).

I have never owned a camera with that particular XA problem but with the Minolta electronic SLRs (X series) when I have bought from people who have not used the SLR for YEARS there is usually a 'boot up' process that the camera seems to go through (about 15 minutes of playing with it) before it 'remembers' to act properly and behave. It's almost laughable to anthropomorphize like this, but that is what happens: it needs 'discipline' and 'coddling': two diametrically opposed treatments!. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    There is an interlock also in the winding mechanism. Sometimes if you jiggle the winding knob a bit, then the shutter button will work.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Could very well be the problem, ive actually fixed it for the time being, i went to rewind the film, but found it was really tight to rewind, in the end i found the winding mechanism, was actually jammed. I found i could not wind it, but forced it a little harder after pulling it apart and discovering that the plastic housing that it screwed down to had cracked and was a little sloppy, it came free and worked! Then after fiddling around with it the light meter started to work again! Weird, but i think i will get another camera, it does work however, and i will try and glue the plastic housing back together, i suspect that its cracked from heavy use of vigorous winding.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin