Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,432   Online: 839

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does a Canonet QL17 GIII count as P&S? That's what I use with great results.

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    35mm
    There are still quite a few people manufacturing 35mm point & shoot compacts such as Fuji, Samsung, Canon, Konica Minolta, Rollei, Halina etc etc. You can't really go wrong with any of them and if you want to get one for next to nothing and in nearly new state then you will find literally hundreds for sale on ebay. And after Christmas there will be even more as people who've been given a digital compact rush to unload last year's 35mm compact on ebay!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    Does a Canonet QL17 GIII count as P&S? That's what I use with great results.
    Kent
    Count me in the Canonet G3 Fan Club.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As has already been mentioned, there are a ton of inexpensive P&S cameras on the market. My only concern is how good of a lens you will (or won't) get at the $50 price point.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon L35 AF

I have picked up a few of these absolutely wonderful cameras for just a few bucks at thrift stores.

Of course it might take some looking to find one.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Rollei USA is selling off a couple of their Prego models. You can buy new directly for about $75.

You also should check out your local Ritz store. Some are selling off P&S cameras at very cheap prices. In general, most should give you photos of adequate quality.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Hands down...Olympus Stylus Epic!!! I almost sold mine as some of you know right here on APUG. I'm glad I didn't. To me, it is the best compact 35mm made.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i just got an epic off of the NZ auction site, looking forward to giving it a try with some downtown auckland street photography..

Shooter
    35mm

Buying a 'sleeper' for under $20

The Epic is indeed a good camera for the price.

But one camera I have from the 80's that matches it in picture quality is the first Nikon OneTouch (fixed lens, not the later zooms). These can be had for $5 to $10 on EBay, and the excellent condition ones are a steal. Camera was made back in the days when P/S cameras hadn't yet miniaturized too much, so it's not shirt pocketable. But it's got a nice heft to it - there must be a lot of metal inside or thicker-than-normal plastic. It has a very good 4-element lens and a larger flash than the Epic. Runs on AA batteries.

Back to the Epic: As mentioned by a post above, the Epic has a bias toward wide apertures and fast shutter speeds. It's therefore best to use it with 400 ISO films to ensure adequate DOF in case the focus is slightly off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Second on athe nikon one touch, my wife, and two daughters each have one and still use'm

Really cheap off the bay

mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin