Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,317   Posts: 1,536,747   Online: 1057

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

What's a good 35mm point-n-shoot for around $50?

I have a friend that is wanting to get a 35mm point and shoot and has asked me for recommendations.

Since I haven't used one in years I'm not sure what to tell her. I know that you probably couldn't go wrong with any of the name brands, but thought that I'd ask for opinions.

Thanks!

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the last time i was in my dealers waiting for my "sales person" , a couple were looking for the same thing and i over heard some of the discussion. THere aren't many of these film cameras on the market anymore. If i remember correctly, Olympus still made one but that is about it, unless of course they find something that has been on the shelve for awhile. THis is truly second hand, so don't take this as the last word on the subject.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An Olympus Mju2

Simple, with a fab lens

Julian

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can't do much better than the Olypus stylus epic in that category. The fixed focal length (35mm, f/2.8.) lens is very highly regarded. It will set you back about $80.00 though. I think the previous post recommends this same camera by it's British name.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Third the Stylus/Mju recommendation. We've had two of these - conveniently designed little cameras that take nice pictures.
    John L
    SF Bay Area, CA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a fourth for jumping the budget up about $30 (a little for more the shipping) to buy an Olympus Stylus Epic (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=131332&is=REG)

It has a very sharp 35mm f/2.8 lens that negates the need to use flash for the deer-in-headlights look all of the time. Two presses of a button on the back of the camera and you are in no-flash mode, I just wish you could set the camera to always use no flash.

If you're looking for something with a zoom, my brother always liked his Minolta Freedom Exploere, but I have never used a P&S with a zoom.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus Stylus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yet another for the Oly Epic. A terrific little companion. Here's an example taken in Woodstock, NY.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails buttswapug.jpg  
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    jim - spend the extra $30 and go for the stylus epic. it's one of the few 35mm point and shoot cameras we still sell regularly every month.

tomtom
    VIVA LA FILM!!!

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Konica Lexio 70W - without having tried any others, I went straight for the Lexio 70W for the times when I don't want to hump around the usual wagonload of 35mm kit. I bought it mainly because of its wide 28mm lens - most P & Ss are only 38mm and I don't tend to do much with long focus lenses, so not bothered about the other end of the focal length. There is a Pentax with a wide zoom lens, but these cost three times as much as the Konica. The lens shows a bit of distortion at the wide end, but for the uses I'd put it to and the price, I can live with that and I'm not sure that the Pentax would be three times as good!
    Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin