Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,277   Online: 818

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Attachment 55940

here is the KMZ Start
    yep, that's the one. The shutter release is also just like an Exacta too. I for the life of me cannot remember what happened to it. It certainly didn't finish up as a paperweight. Ah, so long ago and so many cameras later..........

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One of the nice things about Soviet cameras is that they didn't use foam for light seals or mirror dampers. They used felt, so no problems with sticking mirrors or deteriorating seals. Later models like the LOMO are an exception, unfortunately.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Why would you want to fix a Russian camera?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

The Start is quite rare (70,000) compared to the Zenits (12 million).
    http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/start/

This repairer is mentioned on rangefinder forum:
    http://www.okvintagecamera.com/repair.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    looks like a russian copy of an early pentacon slr ... I'd say, if it doesn't work it makes a good paper weight -- really, you can find another for $25 or so.

Shooter
    35mm
    Cyrillic is fun to learn and use...C is S, P is R...several things like that. Looks daunting at first, but it isn't so bad. More letters than we use, but like Welsh and Italian there is no J in the alphabet even though the J sound is used generously in the spoken language. (think Rudolph Giuliani) Interestingly many words in Russian are the exact same word we use (jacket...but it is zhaket, humor...but it is yumor).
    Russian cameras are not difficult to repair. If anyone wants to learn, I have a box of them for sale. It now also includes two rangefinders (a FED3 and FED4). The FED3 I repaired a broken shutter ribbon in (common fix) but the slow speeds are not right (timer issue). There is a Zenit 3M I converted to instant return mirror several years ago just to show it could be done. Still seems to be working so-so. And there is a complete black Zenit EM needing shutter ribbons replaced. Actually there is another 3M which could be re-shuttered. That box would be fine when cold weather arrives. I think you could make at least 3 and possibly 4 working cameras out of it. If you want it, please let me know.
    Jon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanshaw View Post
    One of the nice things about Soviet cameras is that they didn't use foam for light seals or mirror dampers. They used felt, so no problems with sticking mirrors or deteriorating seals. Later models like the LOMO are an exception, unfortunately.
    Not exactly...one of the worst and most persistent light leaks a Zenit E will suffer is the foam used to seal the side of the pentaprism. There is a 2mm gap between the mirror cage and the body casting. Light pours in from the meter window on the top and goes straight into the mirror chamber where it overexposes every shot. The mirror dampers on the E were thin little pads of dense foam and the dampers on the 3M were tiny dots of rubber on each end of the mirror frame.
    Jon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes its the Start as shown in the pic u posted. I noticed now when i click shutter, then wind, u can see thru viewfinder when winder gets about 3/4way around
    (in line w/ camera) then scene goes dark again. Is that normal with these? If so how do u focus and compose?
    There is a wire inside, on left, pulling the mirror out of the way but seems it should stay up but not doing it. thanks for your help.
    ez

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin