Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,857   Online: 927

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    Interesting thread. Pardon me for saying this but easiest way to find out is to put the lens onto digital body, take two shots at 70 & 210mm, with same flash setting and same camera to object distance. Then crop the 70mm to get the same field of view of the 210mm and finally check the histogram.
    Yes but you have to set the camera in manual mode or the camera (digital or film doesn't make any difference) will compensate for the light loss.
    But then, a histogram is not a "number" so it doesn't give you an idea of how much you have to compensate when using an external light meter.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting thread. Pardon me for saying this but easiest way to find out is to put the lens onto digital body, take two shots at 70 & 210mm, with same flash setting and same camera to object distance. Then crop the 70mm to get the same field of view of the 210mm and finally check the histogram.
    I'll just stick whichever prime lens I think suits the scene on my Nikon, meter with my handheld meter, and expose the frame with utter confidence.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    Yes but you have to set the camera in manual mode or the camera (digital or film doesn't make any difference) will compensate for the light loss.
    But then, a histogram is not a "number" so it doesn't give you an idea of how much you have to compensate when using an external light meter.
    Histogram actually gives you more accurate number you just need to know the camera dynamic range and divide the histogram by how many stops you have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might try adaptall-2.org as they give lots of information on Tamron lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Histogram actually gives you more accurate number you just need to know the camera dynamic range and divide the histogram by how many stops you have.
    I see what you mean but does it work considering that the histogram is drawn after the gamma curve is applied and the data is non-linear any more?
    Or is there a way to have the histogram of the "raw" file?
    In my digital camera the histogram refers to the in-camera JPEG which naturally has the curves applied by the internal engine.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    You must have a curve although it could be a straight line before you can have histogram.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I see what you mean but does it work considering that the histogram is drawn after the gamma curve is applied and the data is non-linear any more?
    Or is there a way to have the histogram of the "raw" file?
    In my digital camera the histogram refers to the in-camera JPEG which naturally has the curves applied by the internal engine.
    Umm that's a good point but I think is not a significant issue since we are not comparing two digicams with different algorithms. That will be way off the analog photography area. My thought is just so he/she can use more accurate measurement for the vari-aperture lens and to save film lab time and cost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had two variable aperture zoom lenses that I sold and replaced with constant aperture ones because they weren't worth the hassle and mental arithmetic.
    Ben

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin