Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,423   Online: 793

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh, shoot, Brian I forgot to tell you, the Contax doesn't have parallax correcting framelines. Don't know if you tend to cut off people's heads without parallax correction (I do), but that's a risk of the old Contax - and why Leicas are so highly regarded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd recommend you get an M2 or M3 and the Zeiss lens. I have the 35/2 Biogon and love it. Use it on my MP and M2. I'd get the Zeiss 50/2 but love my 50/2 Summicron DR too much and have the Zeiss 45/2 Planar on my G2.

The M2 I just got from Youxin for $550. A total user but fully CLA'd by Youxin and smoooooth as silk with a buttery shutter. He usually has a few M2 and M3 bodies around, contact him and discuss your desire for condition you want as he'll compare to what he's got and quote you well.

I'm sure the Zeiss Ikon are nice but I think they are a but pricey for what you're getting.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    On a related note, don't be so quick to write off Leica bodies for price. Some fine quality ones out there for around a grand, sometimes less. No reason you can't be happy with an M3, or an M4 (heck I won a bit of a lottery in finding my M6 for $1K but that's another story).

Good luck with your journey.
    Most Leica's don't have metering, and the one's that do don't offer an Aperture priority mode. That's my problem with them.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    I went through the same mess recently, and ended up getting a Contax G2, you can save $1K going that route and get the same quality, but it is a much differnt type of system....food for thought....reguardless....if you can afford it, get that Zeiss if the Contax G2 isnt your cup a tea....
    Aren't the G2s autofocus??

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes the G2 is AF, so if you need traditional manual focus don't give the G2 a thought. It does have a manual focus ability but it gives no conformation like a traditional patch RF. It measures what it is focusing on (in meters only) and then you can dial it in manually. Much much different than a trad RF but food for thought....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rule 1 - don't go to APUG if you want to be persuaded against buying a camera.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should mention I also own a Fuji GA645 and a GA645zi and a slew of 6x6 cameras, mostly Rolleiflex TLRs yet I still love and use my Leicas and Contax G2.
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 08-26-2012 at 08:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brian, if it was need we would all be shooting P&S little cameras. It's about the enjoyment of the craft and the cameras. As long as it isn't taking food off the table, or costing a kid an education, go for it. It's easier to sell it when you tire of it, than to wonder what it might have been like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Most Leica's don't have metering, and the one's that do don't offer an Aperture priority mode. That's my problem with them.
    Time to take it to the next level.... :-)
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Time to take it to the next level.... :-)
    And guess exposure? Not a very efficient way to work. I know there are those who can do that successfully but I have never been one of them...

I have a spot meter and use it when I'm working slowly but with this 35 RF I'd like to work quickly and having aperture priority mode helps me do that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin