Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,243   Online: 818

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ricoh FF-1 35mm f2.8 color Rikenon lens. This camera has a builtin meter. The lens folds into the body making it easy to pocket.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Ricoh FF-1 35mm f2.8 color Rikenon lens. This camera has a builtin meter. The lens folds into the body making it easy to pocket.
    Gerald,
    Do you have and use this model?
    Gerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    argus af

Shooter
    35mm
    Not as small as an XA or a Rollei 35, still very small and most of them with full manual control and decent range of shutter speeds and aperture:

http://www.cameraquest.com/com35s.htm

As an expensive and high-quality alternative, a Contax G2 with the 45/2 pancake lens.

Or, as has been said, a Leica III with a collapsible lens.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    Contax T2 or T3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an Agfa Solinette that I'm quite fond of. It is pocketable because it is a folding camera with bellows. Fully manual but no rangefinder or meter.

I have several Minox 35mm cameras. These are surely the ultimate in pocketable 35mm. Smaller and lighter than the Solinette. I know you have ruled them out as being AE, but some of the later ones have backlight buttons and exposure lock and all of them enable you to control the exposure by changing the film speed.

IMHO the biggest drawback with the Minox is not the lack of shutter speed control, it is the cursed shutter fault, where dirty contacts, dust or weak batteries result in blank frames. For this reason, bargain Minox buys are often false economy and you need to splash out a lot of money to be sure of geting a late, well featured one in good working order. Mine are always a bit suspect - and of course it is always the once in a lifetime killer shot when they decide to play up.

The Solinette was quite cheap, in nice condition and has been 100% dependable.
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Voigtlander Vito I, II and IIa might do the trick. No meter, however.

In addition, nearly any German folding camera from the 1950s. Plus, the earliest Retinas are very compact, but of course lack meters.

In terms of modern day cameras (those from the 1960s to present day), the choices are limited. If you don't like the Rollei 35, you have almost no other alternatives -- if you want manual control over shutter speed or aperture.

Your best choice might be the Olympus 35 RC.

I agree with Steve that buying a used Minox 35 is a big risk. My experience has been that six of the seven cameras that I bought had faulty shutters.

As always, you will probably need to replace the light seals on any Japanese camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Contax T, but I think it's AE only.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    I have an Agfa Solinette that I'm quite fond of. It is pocketable because it is a folding camera with bellows. Fully manual but no rangefinder or meter.

I have several Minox 35mm cameras. These are surely the ultimate in pocketable 35mm. Smaller and lighter than the Solinette. I know you have ruled them out as being AE, but some of the later ones have backlight buttons and exposure lock and all of them enable you to control the exposure by changing the film speed.

IMHO the biggest drawback with the Minox is not the lack of shutter speed control, it is the cursed shutter fault, where dirty contacts, dust or weak batteries result in blank frames. For this reason, bargain Minox buys are often false economy and you need to splash out a lot of money to be sure of geting a late, well featured one in good working order. Mine are always a bit suspect - and of course it is always the once in a lifetime killer shot when they decide to play up.

The Solinette was quite cheap, in nice condition and has been 100% dependable.
    I've had and used regularly a Minox 35G.T. that I bought second hand from the original owner about twenty seven years ago (at the time that it came out a now defunct magazine SLR Camera said they had to test it three times because the lens test was so good they didn't believe the results ) in that time it has functioned faultlessly all I have had to do is replace the battery. The 35mm f2.8 on Minatour lens on this camera is superb it would put the 35mm lenses of most major SLR manufacturers to shame, at the price that they can be bought for these days in good condition I.M.O are really worth a punt
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-27-2012 at 09:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "pocket sized" it rather depends how big your pockets are, but I just acquired a Ricoh 500G and it's smaller than my hand, quite light, though quite deep with it's 40/2.8 Rikenon. Manual or AE.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin