Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,763   Online: 977

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will look into the Contax T2-3. Otherwise, it looks like I am on a wild goose chase. I was hoping that, maybe, I had overlooked something that fit my guidelines. Your suggestions say it's probably not going to happen. Thanks to all for your input.
    Gerry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just my few pennyworth from my own experience, also mirroring many of the comments already made

I know you've discounted the Rollei 35, but they (the original style versions) should be 'future-proof'; solid, operable entirely mechanically, it's your choice whether you use the internal match-needle exposure meter, an external meter, or sunny-whatever. No built-in rangefinder, but the depth-of-field should be enough for estimation unles you're into macro work. I reckon I would get used to the fiddly-ness of mine if I used it a lot, but I'm more into MF these days .

Interested to learn about the Petri Color 35 - looks nice!

I like the XA series (although the XA1 to me is like a worthy, re-usable, disposable camera if you see what I mean). For me it was a trade-off between my fumbling fingers knocking the focus lever when opening the XA clamshell, and remembering to alter if necessary the default zone focus setting of the XA2 or XA4 after opening. As has been mentioned earlier in the thread, the backlight compensation gives you some manual control. I ended up with the XA4 as I like a 28mm lens - I like to do townscape/landscape - and the depth of field is accommodating anyway.

+1 to Minox electrical problems-never again!

I once had an Olympus 35RC; it's of an older generation, noticeably bigger than the above, and still has 'electrics'.

[ Representing the 'cheapo' fixed focus, 1 aperture and 1 shutter speed class, I have a Vivitar PN2011; totally mechanical, 28mm lens not having the performance of the Olympus Zuiko. I also have an Olympus Trip 505 with 28mm glass triplet and built-in flash; the motorised film drive is noisy.]

In summary, the original poster is enquiring about the sort of 35mm camera that would also appeal most to me; unfortunately, by the time they became that small, the manufacturers mostly only offered automation of one sort or another .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    johnnyh,
    Great post. Your path and mine seem similar. I had a Rollei/Tessar and the images were superb. Just a bit too unconventional in use, for me. I may have to stick with the XA, and even tho the meter is a bit wonky the exposures are correct.

Shooter
    35mm
    Good luck on finding a Contax T Gerry, aperture priority will do the trick for you. I had one for a couple of years. Amazing IQ and I could slip it into a trouser pocket!

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I'd go for the Olympus 35RC. It has a meter for auto exposure, but doesn't depend on it and can be used fully manually. The lens is very sharp and has bags of contrast. The Petri Color 35 is an interesting camera but winding out the lens to take a shot can get tedious. I have a couple of Retinas which are very compact when folded, though a bit weighty.
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll join Steve. The 35RC is what I'd suggest. Also in the viewfinder you'll see both the shutter speed and aperture setting. If you want one which is a bit more automatic...please take a look at the Vivitar 35ES. I have both of these. The 35ES was made I think by Cosina and is a variant of the Minolta 7sii (which is often crazy expensive). The 35ES has a faster lens and a bright viewfinder. One thing you need to keep in mind with the XA is that it is only sort of focusable. That is to say the range of focus is short when compared to others. One small rangefinder I took terrific pictures with was a GAF Memo 35EE. It is either a brother or sister to the Konica C35, and can be bought usually for $15 or less. Spend a bit of time replacing the light seals (they're the exact same design as the C35) and that camera will take amazingly sharp pictures. Good luck. If you are interested, I have a 35ES for sale here and it is working fine.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    Rollei 35 S or SE. No rangefinder, so it is guess-focus (scale focus), but you have a full range of aperture and shutter settings.

The Minox GT-E is also very good, lighter than the Rollei, but only has aperture control. Shutter is automatic. In other words, it is aperture priority AE. It is also a guess-focus camera, as there is no rangefinder.

Ah, but you have already ruled out the two most pocketable cameras above.

Leica IIIf with collapsible lens. Heavy, bigger than either of the other two. Fits in a coat pocket. Has parallax corrected rangefinder focus. Put a Voightlander VC II meter on it if you want a meter.
    +1 Leica IIIf. Lens is magnificent.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the Rollei 35.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can stretch your pocket a little then a minolta Hi-Matic 7SII might be fine. You get a compact RF camera with full manual aperture and shutter speed control as well as a fast and sharp lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Petri color 35 is what you need

http://www.cameraquest.com/petri35.htm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin