Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,678   Online: 793

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pocket size 35mm ??

Is there a pocket sized (normal pockets) 35mm, such as the XA, but with full manual controls? With an analog meter. No Rollei 35, too fiddly to use. Minox is AE.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry M View Post
    Is there a pocket sized (normal pockets) 35mm, such as the XA, but with full manual controls? With an analog meter. No Rollei 35, too fiddly to use. Minox is AE.
    There are a lot of them if you don't mind that they are also fixed focus, 1 aperture and 1 shutter speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If such a camera was made, I am looking for one with full range of aperture & shutter speeds. I have XA, XA2 and Leica CL. Would like something smaller than the CL, but still have manual control over exposure.

Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe some kind of rangfinder with a pancake lens of some type? (Really specific, I know)

I need to pull it out of storage to check the brand, but I have a tiny manual rangefinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rollei 35 S or SE. No rangefinder, so it is guess-focus (scale focus), but you have a full range of aperture and shutter settings.

The Minox GT-E is also very good, lighter than the Rollei, but only has aperture control. Shutter is automatic. In other words, it is aperture priority AE. It is also a guess-focus camera, as there is no rangefinder.

Ah, but you have already ruled out the two most pocketable cameras above.

Leica IIIf with collapsible lens. Heavy, bigger than either of the other two. Fits in a coat pocket. Has parallax corrected rangefinder focus. Put a Voightlander VC II meter on it if you want a meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Olympus XA (not XA2, XA3 or XA4) with its uber-sharp f2.8 lens and inimitably friendly needle indicating shutter speed and of course that cute focusing lever. And it boasts +1.5 backlight control too. Love it!
    There are fancier, bigger names in small 35mm cameras. Get what smacks your fancy.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak Retinas are nice. If you need a built in meter try the Retina IIIC or IIIc.
    Personally I like my Kodak Retina II and IIA, which don't have meters.

Folded, these little cameras fit easily into a pocket.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what paul gougiere said -- there were a very few that meet all your requirements, but they tend to be rather old and collectible and not really as good a users as you might hope -- really, in the ease of use department, the Rolleis were really better than most -- the earlier retinas would be my recommendation also, the ones without a rangefinder because it takes up too much room, find one of the earlier ones with a 3.5 schneider lens and the film counter that still works...(they often don't on later models, at least in my experience) --

the IIIc is nice, but at this age the meters are not to be considered reliable.

but on the retinas, on all but the final III-C (big C) which had a bright frame, those the viewfinder is iffy, nothing wrong, just small and not really accurate and hard to use -- really, viewfinder technology has made huge leaps which is another reason to look at a CL or XA.

just use the ASA setting on the XA to balance the lens and shutter speeds to match what you want. Save urself a lot of hassle
    Last edited by summicron1; 08-26-2012 at 10:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had most of the ones mentioned. Eyeglasses make a problem for the older, smaller VF's. As I said above, I have an XA, XA2 and CL. I was hoping for something a bit smaller than the CL, but still having its' controls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Konica C35 is really small (and its many copies), has a surprisingly nice lens, vf/rf. Only negative is it it is a fully automatic exposure camera. Give it a try, you can compensate using ISO and the results are surprisingly good (exposure and the pictures it produces).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin