Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,332   Online: 715

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder whether someone like Akai-Asahi.com could manufacture film door covers for the F90?
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100 | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My vote is that if you can't stand the covering crumbling off, then simply take the door off and clean it. This would also be an excellent time to replace seals if needed too. I have one N90 that I have left the door as is with it's covering sticky and barely coming off and another N90 that I have removed the covering from. These cameras are not my go to cameras (my F5, FA and F4S are in that order now), so outside appearance isn't that big of a player for me for these cameras.

My experience is similar to yours performance wise for the N90......perfect, infocus results. I love using them which reminds me I should probably run a roll of film through them....it's been awhile.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm going to try the alcohol idea. Never was a big deal to be because it shoots perfect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lao,

I took the film door off and rubbed for a while with alcohol. it looks good as new with no sticky mess at all. go for it

Shooter
    35mm
    Rubbing alcohol and cottong balls works well. I have used this on quite a few cameras with this problem.

oms

Shooter
    35mm
    Just wanted to leave some info for anybody else who has the sticky back problem:

- Since the phone support person couldn't tell me for sure, I sent in my N90s to Nikon's NY service center at the beginning of this year (2013) to see if I could get the sticky back exchanged. They would NOT do a free replacement. I received a letter with estimated charges to replace back and clean/adj. the camera: $200.

(- I finally got someone on the phone from Nikon service after trying for about a week, I said I wanted to refuse the repair, but also complained a bit more to the person on the phone. The person on the phone offered to forward the problem to a supervisor and said I should expect to hear back in a couple days. 2-3 weeks went by, and just as I was getting ready to call them one more time, I received a package on my front porch. The unrepaired camera was inside with an invoice saying that the customer (me) refused repair.)

- Following the instructions described in this thread (and elsewhere), I removed the back and spent about 30 mins cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls. Worked perfectly. The sticky rubbery stuff peeled away and bunched up sort of like a thin film of rubber cement. Back is now smooth black, not too slippery. There was a lot of loose residue, so you would definitely want to remove the back rather than clean around the edges with the camera open.

- I'd read conflicting reports on this, but the little white mode symbols on my film back did rub off (you can still read the markings if you look at the reflections off the shiny back in some strong light).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used Goof0ff? on mine. It removed the covering fine and pretty much left the white symbol info intact.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Goodman View Post
    If you can get denatured (100%) alcohol, the cleanup will take less time.
    Jon
    I second this advice. Alcohol and elbow grease cured mine. I actually prefer the result to the rubber finish. It is a lot of camera for the money and worth the effort to refurbish the door.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is a classic sleeper of a cam - titanium shutter with 1/8000th, and some of the best AF and metering Nikon's ever done.

I too have done the alcohol thing. There are some thicker areas still visible, but they're not sticky anymore.

One thing I found sped it all up: use 99% alcohol (many of us have that for cleaning), and cut some strips of plastic food wrap. Dribble the alcohol on, and then lay the plastic over - this keeps the alcohol from evaporating. Let it soak in for 10 minutes or so, rub & repeat. Speeds up the process for sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin