Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,667   Online: 799

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon N90 sticky film door question

so i got my dads old and basically unused n90 with the sticky film door syndrome. I called nikon to find out about them replacing the door as they used to do that. They had no idea if the facility had the part. also they said it would more than likely NOT be fixed for free and a fee would be charged. Does anyone know how much it would cost to fix if they could fix it? The cust service person was no help as expected. doesn't make sense to pay $100 to get it fixed as they are so cheap second hand. But a shame to not use it only because of the mess. how hard would it be for me to find one that is maybe non-working, take the door off and replace it myself?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by destroya View Post
    so i got my dads old and basically unused n90 with the sticky film door syndrome. I called nikon to find out about them replacing the door as they used to do that. They had no idea if the facility had the part. also they said it would more than likely NOT be fixed for free and a fee would be charged. Does anyone know how much it would cost to fix if they could fix it? The cust service person was no help as expected. doesn't make sense to pay $100 to get it fixed as they are so cheap second hand. But a shame to not use it only because of the mess. how hard would it be for me to find one that is maybe non-working, take the door off and replace it myself?
    That problem goes way back to the early production models and Nikon did replace them for free. Now, though, there probably aren't any in stock since the N90s/F90x was discontinued 10+ years ago; if there are any at Nikon, I don't think it will be free. Replacing the door is the easy part; finding a NOS one isn't. The N90s/F90x is very cheap now--working or otherwise--so why not just look for another?

Shooter
    35mm
    Can't you just scrape the gunk with alcohol or acetone and end up enjoying a fine, silky door?

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    That door comes off really easy, if you open the door and look at the inside of the hinge there is a silver thing that looks like a screw. With your finger nail pull that toward the bottom of the camera then gently rock the door and it should tilt away from the camera so that the top of the door is free. Then just lift the door up to free the bottom hinge pin.

Assembly is the reverse of assembly.

I would sell you my N90s with a nice not sticky door, but the door is all scratched up.

FYI, I paid $65 for my N90s with a scratched but not sticky door.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by destroya View Post
    $100 is too much.
    I have a non-sticky MF26 data back I'd like to sell. $25 shipped USPS priority if your interested.

Takes 30-seconds or so to switch doors.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    I had the same problem and cleaned gummy stuff with alcohol and few sheets of bounty paper in less than 45 minutes. And Yes, it's way easier if you take back film door off for cleaning.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can get denatured (100%) alcohol, the cleanup will take less time.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys. Dont really need to get another on as i have 7 nikon film cameras already. but when i got it i took it out, shot a few rolls to test it out and then sent them off to costco for a quick development. Pictures came out perfect ( i actually have a pretty decent lab tech at my costco) so thought i would give the camera to my son to use. but man what a mess my shirt was. covered in all that sticky crap. anyway i'll give the cleaning ideas a try. and if they don't work, mark I might take you up on your offer!

I gotta say though, this camera has a damn good meter. and for what they are selling for now, its a bargain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes they are really underrated.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Duct Tape!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin