Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,912   Posts: 1,584,692   Online: 692

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Olympus OM-10 problem?

I just bought an Olympus OM-10 with f1.8 and everready case, all in beautiful condition, for $28.00. It seems to work well, shutter sounds good, no dust in the VF, seems to have barely been used. Still has the inspection stickers.

But the ASA setting dial is really hard to change, difficult enough so that some users might find it impossible. Is this normal? Is there a fix that I can do?

Thanks for any and all help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you remember to lift the ring before turning the dial?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes I did.

Shooter
    35mm
    ASA area probably has had some liquid spilled on it. Dried coke or other soda will make knob act like it's been glued. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course it is NOT normal....

I took one apart once. I recall it's a small fine metal brush rotating along a carbon coated potentiometer. I recall the piece was plastic and rotated around a stainless steel spindle. My GUESS is same as John's... some kind of gunk must have formed around that area. This area is accessible if you take the top part off the body but putting it together correctly is very challenging as I recall. I would only attempt it on a junk body or as a last resort. Unfortunate thing is, to get it fixed by a professional will cost many times over the cost of the body itself...
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, since I can move it I'll make do. Pity. Thanks for the info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before I saw the light and began buying single digit bodies, I owned a few OM10s. The best of them had silky smooth wind on and a very easy to adjust ISO setting. Almost regret selling it now

Shooter
    35mm
    The "gunk" or dried soda is in the plastic knob assembly on the top cover, not inside in the circuit board. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hermanson View Post
    The "gunk" or dried soda is in the plastic knob assembly on the top cover, not inside in the circuit board. John
    I wonder if if some TV contact cleaner sprayed into the knob assembly with with the camera held upside down would do the job. I've used Radio Shack's product successfully on some rather expensive electronic gear in the past.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A drop(small) of Hydrogen Peroxide will free it up too.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin