Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,610   Online: 835

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Step Up Rings

Shooter
    Medium Format

Step Up Rings

Hi there,

I just got a Nikon FM2 and so now I need to buy a step up ring so I can use my 77mm filters on it. I know I need a 52mm-77mm step up ring. My question is whether there is any potential problem with buying a cheap (c. $10) one? Do I really need to spend $47.50 (Heliopan) for a step up ring?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilkins View Post
    Do I really need to spend $47.50 (Heliopan) for a step up ring?
    Not just 'no' but heck no! Get a cheap-o ring and get busy with that FM2. I have a couple Heliopan rings because they were the only ones available in hard-to-find sizes while all other rings of mine are from who-knows-where. Haven't been able to discern a difference.
    Last edited by Aja B; 08-30-2012 at 06:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's a threaded metal ring, for crying out loud. Putting a brand on it is just a waste of money.

If it's brass instead of aluminium then it's less likely to seize, but you just don't make a habit of leaving the Al one on your camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have fancy ones and cheap ones, and no question, the nice brass ones are smoother in operation, but the cheap ones get the job done.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    that is what I figured - I ordered the $10 version earlier today but just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a bunch of cheap ones all work great.

Jeff

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just don't get the plastic ones - the two I have had both broke quickly, were difficult to thread properly and became "wiggly" on a hot day (the plastic was melting). Stick with metal.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing to consider is the seizing problem. It does not happen very often.
    However, if the filter seizes to the SUR, separating the two can be a major problem.

Seizing typically occurs when two aluminum parts are threaded together (mated).
    The easiest way to eliminate the potential problem is to use a brass SUR if you're mating an aluminum filter to an aluminum lens.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    Just don't get the plastic ones - the two I have had both broke quickly, were difficult to thread properly and became "wiggly" on a hot day (the plastic was melting). Stick with metal.
    They make plastic step-up rings? I have not seen any but I am not that surprised.

I did recently see a plastic tripod. It weighed next to nothing. It also could hold next to nothing!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Leigh - my filters are brass so I'm won't worry about it. Also I can't imagine leaving them on for any length of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin