Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,254   Online: 747

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Well, that and telephoto work. And it's generally more a problem at slower shutter speeds, like 1/30 to 1/2. Depending on the (35mm) camera, I found 1/15 or 1/8 to be worst.

How the hell did I forget tele lenses? I had coffee, I'm too young to be going senile, I barely drink, don't smoke dope,......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    How the hell did I forget tele lenses? I had coffee, I'm too young to be going senile, I barely drink, don't smoke dope,......
    Maybe you should start....
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Minolta XD-11 very smooth.

For my macro and tele work I use a Nikon F3 because it has mirror lockup, no vibration at all, some Nikons using the self timer will lock up the mirror before the shutter fires which accomplishes the same as the manual mirror lock up but the mirror motion as mentioned above can set up resonance in light tripods.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    35mm
    thank you.this thread is very interesting.

you're speaking about the Nikon cameras:do you know if the Nikon Fe has this possibility?
    I've a Nikon Fe,but i never use it because the movement of the mirror mechanism in this model is particularly noisy; infact in the FE 2 model, Nikon created a
    very silent antivibration shutter.
    It would be very interesting, although it is a very noisy camera (FE), using the self-timer to reduce vibration.
    Regards.

Shooter
    35mm
    On the FE, the mirror will lockup before firing the shutter when using the self timer.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Canon Pellix and Pellix QL cameras have pellicle mirrors. These are in Canon FL (manual focus) mount. The Canon F-1N is considered to have a very well damped mirror. It was for this reason that the model did not include a mirror lock-up feature. For macro or long lens work I use an older F-1 or F-1n instead. Where vibration is concerned, some people prefer a camera with a horizontally running cloth shutter. They are often quieter even with the mirror locked up. The odd thing about the Pellix and Pellix QL models is that although they have non-moving mirrors, they have horizontally traveling metal shutters, like the F-1 models. This is because a cloth shutter might get burned if the camera were left pointed at the sun. With the mirrors down, a Nikkormat FT2 is slightly more noisy than a Canon FTbN at the same shutter speed. With the mirrors locked up, the Nikkormat is a little quieter. The Yashica FX-3 is one of the many Cosina-produced cameras. It seems to have about the same amount of mirror induced vibration as the others. The Nikon F2 seems loud whether the mirror is up or down. I can use older manual focus lenses on my Pentax K-x (DSLR) and still benefit from the camera's built-in vibration reduction system.

Shooter
    35mm
    thank you!
    does the pentax k1000 have the vibration reduction system? regards

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've owned the Yashica FX-3 and I own a couple of K1000s. If you use the self-tmer on the Yashica, the mirror flips up when you press the shutter release button giving you a mirror lock up by default. The K1000 does not have a mirror lock up feature, but you can make the mirror flip up before the shutter trips by quickly 'flicking' your finger over the shutter release button and the mirror will flip up without tripping the shutter. I asked Eric Hendrickson who is probably the best person in the U.S. for repairing Pentaxes if this was alright and he didn't recommend it, the shutter speed chosen may not be accurate.

Peters8- You may want to consider the Pentax KX. It has the same body as the K1000 (which is similar to the Spotmatic) and has a mirror lockup function, a self timer and depth of field preview. You also can see the shutter speed selection and the f-stop in the viewfinder. They can can be obtained sometimes for less money (or not much more) than the K1000 because they haven't achieved the cult status of the K1000.
    Last edited by Chrismat; 09-03-2012 at 09:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    The OM's are well known for having minimal shutter/mirror vibration. I also take exception to the popular mischaracterisation that RF's have a smoother operation than SLR's. The long, stiff shutter button travel needed to lock and set the exposure makes them far more difficult to hand hold than the OM's.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well I had a Nikon F modified so that I have the option of it having 2 steps when taking an exposure.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/5960666971/

A Rangefinered F? My friend, Pete Smith, turned my shutter button into a two step process. First step takes the shot, then the second punch on the shutter button slaps the mirror. This allows me to, 1. Make my shot almost totally silent and 2. there is virtually no vibration, allowing me to shot at 1/15 or even 1/8 of a second without shake. After that I just press the shutter button again to allow me to advance the shot. Voila it really works very nicely. Of course I can always just shot the old fashion way by pressing the shutter button a little harder for the full deal. Cool?
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin