Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,719   Posts: 1,483,129   Online: 1247
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14
  1. #11

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,839
    If 2/3 stop less light is going thru the mirror then it's about 64 percent is reaching the film. The remaining 36 percent refected into the viewfinder and that is about 1.4 stop less light than a mirror that reflects 100% of the light.

  2. #12
    Poisson Du Jour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,380
    Images
    15
    It should not be of concern how much light loss, in published fact 0.6 stop.

    A mirror such as in the Canon EOS1n loses close to (but not precisely) 0.3 stop — you lose much more putting an f3.5 lens on the front! More still, adding a polariser. Where is the issue? The pellicle mirror provides known (but not exactly earth-shattering) benefits of course and they are provided with a trade-off given as a very small amount of light loss. Changing focusing screens can also institute light loss.

    Negative film is not the stuff to use when checking meter accuracy. Using negative film allows you a huge amount of latitude, especially HP5+. Two-thirds stop of anything on that will not have any affect at all. Run a roll of transparency film though the camera to sharpen up on what the meter is doing.

    A word on meter referencing: the spot meter in the EOS 3 uses a later generation algorithm than that in the EOS 1, 1N, 1N RS bodies, and has altered weighting on account of the 21 zone meter as opposed to the 16 zones double-function spot meter of the 1N series. I would not consider it a reliable parallel reference. If the camera does continue to throw metering out with obvious derangement (again, use transparency film because it is sensitive to +/– 0.3 stop variations, and a variation of +/– 0.6 is indisputably obvious), then a bench test is warranted. Before you do that, check custom functions to ensure the meter is reading in 0.5 vs 0.3 step.

    Over long and hard use, the embedded metering eye beneath the mirror can cop a bit of dust. It is very, very sensitive to scratching — look, but don't touch!
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 09-09-2012 at 08:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

    One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.


    "It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams






  3. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    32
    Thanks for that technical insight!
    The camera is in pristine, rarely used condition (i.e. a few odd rolls for the family album), everything's squeaky clean, including the metering eye. I've already ordered a few fresh rolls of Velvia - it's about time I shot some slides again so I'll use them to really test the meter thoroughly.

  4. #14
    Poisson Du Jour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,380
    Images
    15
    Atta boy!
    Velvia will tell all, bluntly and brutally, but a lot of what happens depends on shooting in the right light. Use the different on-board meters, including partial additional to evaluative and partial spot. Bright sun and shadows will cause most meters to tremble and fit. Velvia in diffuse light is a beautiful thing to look at, but if the meter buggers up a simple, uncomplicated scene, then you will know, like being hit by lightning, something is wrong. But I hope not. None of the 1N-series cameras are softies to squirm at drama. I do hope it all works out for such a great camera.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

    One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.


    "It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams






Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin