Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,993   Online: 1173

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A really good general purpose lens is the 24-85mm AF-D. The newer G version is quite nice too and the latest with VR is showing itself to be quite sharp as well. These lenses are all still selling for high prices since Nikon introduced the D700, (resurrecting interest in the 35mm lens line). On the 105mm - I have the VR version - excellent bokeh and quite sharp.
    Last edited by David Goldstein; 09-11-2012 at 02:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    --
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My favorite Nikon Auto Focus lens is the 35mm f/2. It is compact, fast, and has no Zeiss or Yashica equivalent in my other systems.

Shooter
    35mm
    The AF 28 - 80mm, 3.5 - 5.6D lens that came as a kit zoom, is a seriously good piece of kit that will give primes a run for their money. It's often attached to plastic fantastic consumer SLRs of the era, meaning few people want them so they're cheap - mine were around £20 -25 including an as new camera body.

FWIW, here's Ken Rockwell's take on the lens:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2880.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    has anybody experience how the 1.4/35 mm AF compares to the 1.4/35 mm AiS?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    The AF 28 - 80mm, 3.5 - 5.6D lens that came as a kit zoom, is a seriously good piece of kit that will give primes a run for their money. It's often attached to plastic fantastic consumer SLRs of the era, meaning few people want them so they're cheap - mine were around £20 -25 including an as new camera body.

FWIW, here's Ken Rockwell's take on the lens:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2880.htm
    Personally I own several variable aperture lenses and they are really handy, light, and relatively inexpensive.

I use these lenses where I can get away with the smaller aperture, like 5.6 for the lens in the quote here. I simply set aperture priority at 5.6 and go.

I do find that variable aperture lenses really cramp my style most of the time. I'm more of an f/2.8 and be there guy.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quantaray makes a nice AF 28-80mm D for Nikon 3.5-5.6, that is a great grab and go lens.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In this mid-range zoom group don't overlook the 28-85/3.5-4.5 AF Nikkor...a very good performer for under $100

(I'm not real sure what Nikon body it is designed for, but I took some shots in MF mode on my Canon dSLR and it was sharp)
    Last edited by kitanikon; 09-12-2012 at 09:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The one thing I have found is to test your lenses. Not every aperture will be great. It's always a few that are great, some ok and the rest under performing. I got a 50mm F1.8 AF-D new and it was crap. Sent it back. I've got old Nikon lenses that are better.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    The one thing I have found is to test your lenses. Not every aperture will be great. It's always a few that are great, some ok and the rest under performing. I got a 50mm F1.8 AF-D new and it was crap. Sent it back. I've got old Nikon lenses that are better.
    Testing is important, not every lens works for every need.

I have had 4 copies of the 50mm F1.8 AF-D (various camera trades) and they have all been stellar for my needs.

The only place where some of the older 50's I've had felt better was in the feel of manual focusing.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon 28-105AF lens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin