Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,926   Online: 1013

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    okay thanks everyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kitanikon View Post
    Best cheap 50 is the F2...the pre-AI "K" version is the cheapest of the F2 versions.
    Which is the "K"? I have two 50 f:2s, #6xxxxx and #9xxxxx both Nikkor H, there are some differences in the metal, but AFAIK the optics are identical. These have become my favorite 50s, to the point that I sold off the f:1.4 and f:1.2 versions.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The "K" version of Nikkors are COSMETIC updates with rubber covered focusing barrels...there were several versions of the "K" series....

....some were updated cosmetically (rubber covered focusing barrel, different front lens barrel, some with built-in hoods some not) with no change in optic design...Nikon offered AI aperture rings as an option for these lenses (and for some of the pre-K versions as well)
    ....some were updated optically when the cosmetics were revised...though NOT yet AI converted with the AI aperture ring...that were offered (as above) as an option
    ....some were updated optically, cosmetically, AND with the AI aperture ring....

And of course some continued to be updated after becoming AI lenses....

The 135/2.8 went through ALL 3 of these iterations...from the "Q" to the "Q-K" to the compact non-AI-K, and the compact-AI-K

The 50/2 "K" came out before the AI version...having the same optics but without the AI aperture ring...lacking the AI aperture ring makes it less valuable to users of Nikon dSLR bodies that require the AI aperture ring (though it can still be used on many though not all lower end Nikon dSLRs, eg D40, 5100)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The "K" version of Nikkors are COSMETIC updates with rubber covered focusing barrels...there were several versions of the "K" series....

....some were updated cosmetically (rubber covered focusing barrel, different front lens barrel, some with built-in hoods some not) with no change in optic design...Nikon offered AI aperture rings as an option for these lenses (and for some of the pre-K versions as well)
    ....some were updated optically when the cosmetics were revised...though NOT yet AI converted with the AI aperture ring...that were offered (as above) as an option
    ....some were updated optically, cosmetically, AND with the AI aperture ring....

And of course some continued to be updated after becoming AI lenses....

The 135/2.8 went through ALL 3 of these iterations...from the "Q" to the "Q-K" to the compact non-AI-K, and the compact-AI-K

The 50/2 "K" came out before the AI version...having the same optics but without the AI aperture ring...lacking the AI aperture ring makes it less valuable to users of Nikon dSLR bodies that require the AI aperture ring (though it can still be used on many though not all lower end Nikon dSLRs, eg D40, 5100)
    Ah, OK thank you. I have what may be a "K" version of the 55/3.5, with the rubber focussing ring, non Ai, non multicoated.

I had been calling these lenses "RIFR" for rubber insert focussing ring. My understanding is that the lenses marked C as in "Nikkor H-C" are multicoated?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes, E......the "C" in H.C means that it is multi-coated...to make life more confusing, SUBSEQUENT versions of an "x".C lens may not have the "C" but still be multi-coated...
    by example, there is a 105/2.5 silver-nose P and P.C....and a later PRE-AI version with the long scalloped metal barrel is marked "P" and is multi-coated....
    For more confusion:
    http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic....22699&start=15

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ^ that referenced thread gave me a headache

all i know is i really like mine for portraits… slow for available light but useful nonetheless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    ^ that referenced thread gave me a headache

all i know is i really like mine for portraits… slow for available light but useful nonetheless.
    I have a Sonnar non-MC version and it's one of the nicest lenses I've ever used, from any manufacturer, on any format. Lovely for portraits and incredibly good at longer distances.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, E......the "C" in H.C means that it is multi-coated...to make life more confusing, SUBSEQUENT versions of an "x".C lens may not have the "C" but still be multi-coated...
    by example, there is a 105/2.5 silver-nose P and P.C....and a later PRE-AI version with the long scalloped metal barrel is marked "P" and is multi-coated....
    For more confusion:
    http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic....22699&start=15
    Thank you. I've been perusing the Mir site for info - although I've been using the Nikons since the mid 90s, I've recently decided to get all the lenses and other doodads I want before they get expensive. I've already missed a couple, like the floating element 28mm. I don't see myself ever needing any other 35mm camera system; I'm very pleased with all my Nikons and Nikkors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget to consider the early versions of the 24/2.8 lens. I bumped into one at a very nice price earlier this year and couldn't resist. So glad I did. Great performer. More here:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...wides/24mm.htm
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Don't forget to consider the early versions of the 24/2.8 lens. I bumped into one at a very nice price earlier this year and couldn't resist. So glad I did. Great performer. More here:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...wides/24mm.htm
    Yep, been thinking of that very lens. Really, all I want is a wide to fill the gap between my 35/2 and the 20mm UD I couldn't pass up because it was such a good deal. For what they cost, I can get the 24 and 28mm f:2.8 lenses. I'd also like to get the 85, the 105 is just a bit long for walking around streets and so on. The 20mm UD is a special purpose lens, I find I really have to work at it to use it well, it's so comprehensive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin