Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,651   Posts: 1,481,302   Online: 852

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Yep, been thinking of that very lens. Really, all I want is a wide to fill the gap between my 35/2 and the 20mm UD I couldn't pass up because it was such a good deal. For what they cost, I can get the 24 and 28mm f:2.8 lenses. I'd also like to get the 85, the 105 is just a bit long for walking around streets and so on. The 20mm UD is a special purpose lens, I find I really have to work at it to use it well, it's so comprehensive.
    Hope you find a nice one. Mine the barrel looks like it went thru the Vietnam war but the glass is A-OK. Got it for a song.

I love the 105/2.5, also have an older version. Such a sweet signature. I have the 85 range covered by the awesome 85/1.4 Planar with my Contax kit so never got the Nikkor versions though I've been tempted. Picked up a 200/4 AI recently from someone on this site for only $50 a couple weeks ago. Focusing a bit stiff but workable. Just shot a roll couple days ago to decide whether to spend a little more dough to have it re-lubed to help the focusing stiffness, negs look good but I've yet to print or scan any. If you think the 105 is too long then 200/4 would be even more so. But I was surprised at how useful it really was walking around and taking some shots from my car at the longer traffic lights (yes, I know, should not have the F2 around my neck while driving...), I'll share some from that roll soon....

I'm sure that 20 is gorgeous. I have trouble myself that wide. Have the 21 Biogon for my Contax G2 but struggle to get images I'm truly happy with. Gotta keep trying....
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Yep, been thinking of that very lens. Really, all I want is a wide to fill the gap between my 35/2 and the 20mm UD I couldn't pass up because it was such a good deal. For what they cost, I can get the 24 and 28mm f:2.8 lenses. I'd also like to get the 85, the 105 is just a bit long for walking around streets and so on. The 20mm UD is a special purpose lens, I find I really have to work at it to use it well, it's so comprehensive.
    The 85/1.8 shown on my F2AS below cost only $130 shipped through evilBay. It did need to have its filter ring straightened a little, and has some engraving on it, but glass is nice, focusing is very smooth, and diaphragm works nicely. If you can find the H version with a factory AI ring (or even one that's been milled), go for it.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F FTn, FM2n, Nikomat FT2x2 - all blk bodies
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (for DPUG), 28/3.5 H, 35/2 O, 35-135/3.5-4.5 AF, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.4 SC, 50/2 AI, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS

My FB - My flickr stream

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    The 85/1.8 shown on my F2AS below cost only $130 shipped through evilBay. It did need to have its filter ring straightened a little, and has some engraving on it, but glass is nice, focusing is very smooth, and diaphragm works nicely. If you can find the H version with a factory AI ring (or even one that's been milled), go for it.

-J
    Thanks, I don't have any bodies which require an Ai or Ai'd lens, so I'll go for the older and perhaps less expensive version. One thing I will not buy is any lens with a bent or bent-and-straightened filter ring.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Hope you find a nice one. Mine the barrel looks like it went thru the Vietnam war but the glass is A-OK. Got it for a song.

I love the 105/2.5, also have an older version. Such a sweet signature. I have the 85 range covered by the awesome 85/1.4 Planar with my Contax kit so never got the Nikkor versions though I've been tempted. Picked up a 200/4 AI recently from someone on this site for only $50 a couple weeks ago. Focusing a bit stiff but workable. Just shot a roll couple days ago to decide whether to spend a little more dough to have it re-lubed to help the focusing stiffness, negs look good but I've yet to print or scan any. If you think the 105 is too long then 200/4 would be even more so. But I was surprised at how useful it really was walking around and taking some shots from my car at the longer traffic lights (yes, I know, should not have the F2 around my neck while driving...), I'll share some from that roll soon....

I'm sure that 20 is gorgeous. I have trouble myself that wide. Have the 21 Biogon for my Contax G2 but struggle to get images I'm truly happy with. Gotta keep trying....
    The 20 really is a nice lens. It's two issues are the size and heft, and it also has falloff until you stop it down a bit. At f:5.6 the falloff is mostly gone, all gone by f:8. I got it for $100 because one of the internal elements has a scratch, which has so far (16 years) had no noticeable effects in the photos. Otherwise it's a nice contrasty lens, flare is well controlled and the aperture ghosting can give an interesting effect sometimes. I never liked ultrawides until I used this one for a while.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just get any of them. they are all great lenses!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    If OP doesn't mind manual focusing with AF lens, this one looks like a decent performer :

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/658-samyang3514fx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    If OP doesn't mind manual focusing with AF lens, this one looks like a decent performer :

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/658-samyang3514fx
    That's a manual focus lens you linked to.

"As mentioned, the Samyang is a manual focus lens so depending on your shooting style this may be a little bit of a limiting factor."
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    That's a manual focus lens you linked to.

"As mentioned, the Samyang is a manual focus lens so depending on your shooting style this may be a little bit of a limiting factor."
    Right!! What was I thinking? Sorry must be an effect of 4 hrs walk under the summer sun

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin