Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,777   Online: 909

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

nikkor normal lenses

Hi everyone,

I hope soon to be in the market for a fast Nikkor lens to use for low light/interior shots with my FM2. Though I would love to own a 35 1.4 (or 35 2.0), chances are I shall have to settle for a cheaper lens. I guess this leaves 50mm 1.4, 1.8 or 2.0. Since the chances of finding all three lenses in front of me for testing are very slim I have no idea how to decide between them. Any of the three would likely be fast enough for my needs. Has anyone else had to choose between these lenses, and if so how did you decide?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go for earlier versions. I paid $15 each for my 50/1.4 and 35/2. Ugly and worn metal parts but glass almost perfect. I use them on my F3, F3 and FM2. My prices were low but with patience you can get them very cheaply.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Perhaps also consider the Series-E 50 ƒ1.8. The later, chrome ring version is a great lens - I picked one up for $25. If I remember correctly, the only differences are the optical coating (single v. multi-coat) and construction (the Series-E has more plastic than the Nikkor). That said, it was a smooth, compact lens and worth the money.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the recommendation but I would much prefer a multi coated lens if I can afford it.

Richard, when you say "earlier versions" do you mean pre-AI which you had converted? A 35/2 for $15 sounds kind of incredible.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i bought the 35f/2 and the 50f1.8 for less than what the 50f/1.4 is new.both are great lenses!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilkins View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation but I would much prefer a multi coated lens if I can afford it.

Richard, when you say "earlier versions" do you mean pre-AI which you had converted? A 35/2 for $15 sounds kind of incredible.
    Incredible? hardly. My 35/2 was free. Perfect glass and decent appearance. One of my 50/2 lenses was free, too.

While multicoating is good, a decent lens shade on a single coated lens is better. The pre-Ai Nikkors are great lenses with stellar mechanical construction, most of them are bargains and some are steals as far as price goes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second the 50 1.8 E for starting out. Cheap, and the coating on it seems to work just as well as the regular 50 1.8 which I have as well, both are sharp and handle well. Its compact size also pairs nicely with the FM2. I used to have both, as well as the 50 1.2.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You can never have enough aperture for available light shooting.
    I don't use any 50's but if I did, it would be the fastest I could afford.-Dick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    well if anyone hears of a 35/2 for free or even under $100 please let me know! Where would I find such deals?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

nikkor normal lenses

Patience. And luck. I got mine here on APUG. Yes early versions but with hoods work just fine. Here's a 35/2 Nikkor-O AI that recently went fairly cheaply, and with hood:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=280913322911
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin