Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,255   Online: 1043

Shooter
    Multi Format

Contax RTS metering pattern

I have recently acquired an RTS and was wondering if anyone could could point me toward some resource that could explain the metering pattern. My current understanding is that it is center weighted, but that still leaves considerable room for understanding. Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rice View Post
    I have recently acquired an RTS and was wondering if anyone could could point me toward some resource that could explain the metering pattern. My current understanding is that it is center weighted, but that still leaves considerable room for understanding. Thanks in advance.
    If you could locate the test report by Popular Photography back when the RTS was new it would show the metering pattern. I thought I saw that file some where on the net not too long ago but I can't seem to find it now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Contax RTS metering pattern

Did not have time to dive in myself but it should be on this page or the others after it:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...xrts/index.htm
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I have had a look at various sites dealing with tests and non appear to mention the metering pattern, so given the gae of the camera I think it will be safe to say that it will be centre weighted only with no spot or matrix type.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rice View Post
    Does it seem unrealistic that the meter will give weight to the subject at the focus distance of the lens at the point the picture is taken? This seems to be the case, from my experience.

At the risk of sounding like a dunce, I'm making a somewhat-educated guess. I've been using an RTS for the majority of my "shooting" the past two years. And while I don't know much about the technical aspects of different meters, I can identify ones I like ... and over time, learn how to predict. Prior to using this RTS, I used a Contax S2 for five years, and it used a 5-percent spot meter. Obviously the way you use each camera is different based on the metering.

Can't say anything beyond that. Same applies to the RTS II and the 139Q ... although the mechanical Yashicas I have, appear to use a simpler, center-only weighted metering system. No bias toward focus distance.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Does it seem unrealistic that the meter will give weight to the subject at the focus distance of the lens at the point the picture is taken? This seems to be the case, from my experience.

At the risk of sounding like a dunce, I'm making a somewhat-educated guess. I've been using an RTS for the majority of my "shooting" the past two years. And while I don't know much about the technical aspects of different meters, I can identify ones I like ... and over time, learn how to predict. Prior to using this RTS, I used a Contax S2 for five years, and it used a 5-percent spot meter. Obviously the way you use each camera is different based on the metering.

Can't say anything beyond that. Same applies to the RTS II and the 139Q ... although the mechanical Yashicas I have, appear to use a simpler, center-only weighted metering system. No bias toward focus distance.
    I wonder how a camera like the RTS including RTS II and III can bias exposure toward focused distance. I don't think the camera knows the distance the camera is focused and I don't think it knows how far the subject that it measuring the brightness is either.
    I do know AF cameras with matrix, evaluative metering system do bias exposure toward the focus point but this doesn't apply to the RTS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the manual...

Exposure Control - Through-the-lens automatic exposure control with SPD sensor above the viewfinder eyepiece taking center-weighted light reading.

edit: MIR has the metering pattern shown for the RTS II, which is nearly the same camera.
    Last edited by flatulent1; 09-16-2012 at 02:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I wonder how a camera like the RTS including RTS II and III can bias exposure toward focused distance. I don't think the camera knows the distance the camera is focused and I don't think it knows how far the subject that it measuring the brightness is either.
    I do know AF cameras with matrix, evaluative metering system do bias exposure toward the focus point but this doesn't apply to the RTS.
    Well, alrighty then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fred, that is exactly what I was looking for. I had only pored over the RTS I manual, so I missed it. Thanks. And thanks to everyone else, as well.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin