Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,473   Online: 1118

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    what about electronics on the KX and LX? How long is that stuff going to last? I'm happy with my Spotmatics and all my screwmount lenses, though I wish I had mirror-lockup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The KX is mechanical so the only circuitry is for the meter. Internally, it follows the Spotmatic design.
    The LX has mechanical speeds from 1/75th to 1/2000th. It has electronically governed speeds to 1/8 on manual. It has electronic governed speeds on Automatic to 125 seconds, but actually it's indefinite. The shutter will stay open until it has collected enough light.
    Last edited by lxdude; 09-19-2012 at 01:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    I'm happy with my Spotmatics and all my screwmount lenses, though I wish I had mirror-lockup.
    Usually the finger-flick on the shutter button trick will lock up (actually pre-release) the mirror on Spotmatics. As far as I know, that's true for any of the Pentaxes based on the Spotmatic design, including the MX.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Usually the finger-flick on the shutter button trick will lock up (actually pre-release) the mirror on Spotmatics. As far as I know, that's true for any of the Pentaxes based on the Spotmatic design, including the MX.
    I've tried this a few times and it released the shutter. I need to sit down without a roll of film in it and see if I can master that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    I've tried this a few times and it released the shutter. I need to sit down without a roll of film in it and see if I can master that.
    From what I've heard, it doesn't work with every single one, probably because of individual adjustments. I've never tried it on one and had it not work, though. It's really easy once you get the hang of it.

Shooter
    35mm
    My newly bought Pentax S3 can do the pre release thing. When I first got it it was so servere that if I didn't hold down on the shutter release it would not complete the cycle. It's much better now after a lot of excercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    I wouldn't worry about the electronics in the KX. They've lasted this long with no problems so should carry on for a while yet, and they're of the age when you could spot individual components on the PCBs so it should be possible to rebuild the electronics if they fail.

IIRC the K2 and KX had a better light meter than the KM/K1000. Certainly my KM and K1000 have very interesting ideas of accuracy while the KX and K2 are dead on.

Pretty sure I've seen mention of Spotties with MLU as well. The article suggested that it was a factory option and that if you ordered it you ended up with another switch on the lens mount, like the meter switch but on the other side.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    Pretty sure I've seen mention of Spotties with MLU as well. The article suggested that it was a factory option and that if you ordered it you ended up with another switch on the lens mount, like the meter switch but on the other side.
    I have seen them on eBay for like $750. More of a collector's item given their rarity.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hmmm, out of curiousity, has anyone seen if a Pentax 6x7 will do the mirror prefire? I know that they usually have MLU, but it might be interesting if, like the Spotties and other mechanical Pentaxes, they can do it.

Re: the $750 Spotties with MLU, I think I'll stick with my $5.00 black Spottie with the mirror prefire feature.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/135/3.5-4.5 AIS, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    At that price you begin to wonder how hard it would be to modify a Spotty to include MLU...

I've seen a K-mount Spotmatic before now, using a KM chassis with swapped top plates and adapted lens mount surrounds.
    Matt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin