Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,848   Posts: 1,582,814   Online: 819

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

about the old Pentax KX

Hi guys!

I was reading some opinions about this Pentax;many people say that is a good camera with excellent features but with a big problem (that I hate):the shutter in this model is very noisy,very loud.

could you (of course who has owned this model) confirm or deny this problem?

Another question:is the pentax kx a professional camera or is it a normal camera for normal users?

Ciao

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    perhaps the camera was aptly named?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    YES IN THE TITLE!

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes I have owned one of these years ago and found it to be a very capable instrument. No I didn't find the shutter noisy, but then again those who have been brought up on today's offerings will tend to disagree. It was no louder than most of the other cameras available in the late 70's when it was on sale new.

It was a better camera than the KM sister model available at the time (Brighter screen) but much improved when it was replaced with the MX model. (With the exception of the LED lights, instead of needle metering).

I didn't class it as a professional model, just a well made upgrade of the old Spotmatic models, but there again some of those were used by professionals, so who knows?
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 09-17-2012 at 03:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used my friend's KX who was my roommate since he bought it new in 1976 for many years. I didn't find that the shutter was noisy, not any more than my own cameras, Nikon F2AS, Nikon F3HP, Nikon EM. A few years back I bought a used KX in excellent condition, still I don't think the shutter is loud but again like BMbikerider I must said there are many who would disagree with me.
    Like BMbikerider, I would not class the KX as professional but it's Pentax top of the line (it was lower than the K2 but the K2 was automatic) like the Spotmatic before it and the MX after it.
    The KX was the best K series camera with match needles metering (again I don't call the KM or K1000 match needle as they have only 1 needle) which show the shutter speed in used. It has the window that show the aperture. The photocell in the meter is silicon blue cell and is very accurate. It definitely a lot better than the famous K1000.
    Last edited by Chan Tran; 09-17-2012 at 11:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As others have already said, the shutter in the Pentax KX is no louder than the shutter in any of its contemporaries.

The KX was the top of the line 35mm SLR from Pentax at the time ( mid 1970's).

I see that the OP has posted a few similar threads asking "is this or that 35mm SLR form the late 1970's a professional camera".

I think it is probably more important to consider how the camera was used rather than how it was marketed by the mfgr . This is especially true at this distance in time from the original manufacture date. Either camera when used daily by a professional photo journalist is going to be hammered probably to death, by now. However, either on that was owned by an amateur who took care of the gear is probably going to be a more useful tool.

My mom was a journalist for a daily paper. I remember her going through cameras like you and I go through disposable razors...I don't ever remember her using a "professional" camera in her day-to-day work. I remember she had a Pentax MG (far from what anybody would considered professional camera) for a while - perhaps, two years. There were also a many Spotmatics. She seems to have preferred Pentax and Canon cameras with simple user interfaces. She even carried a Canon sure shot for a few years.
    Last edited by BradS; 09-17-2012 at 12:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What defines a camera as a "professional" model? If the manufacturer calls it a professional model, it is one. .

The only practical result of the manufacturer defining a camera as "professional" is that some manufacturers (through distributors) provide additional resources and services to working professional photographers using "professional" cameras.

As an example, in my area Canon has a loaner program for their high end L series lenses. If you are a working professional photographer (with proof that fulfills their specific requirements) with at least two Canon digital bodies and at least one of those bodies is designated as "professional" you can arrange for short term, low cost or free loans of their more exotic lenses.

I don't know whether a professional user of a Canon EOS-1V would qualify for the program
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Pentax didn't go after the pro market in the same way that Nikon, Canon and to a degree Olympus did.

Their cameras were intended for the consumer market. I'm sure that pros bought them, but that wasn't the primary market for Pentax.

The KX is an excellent camera. Its shutter might be a bit noisy but no more so than rival cameras sold during that same era.

Olympus (as it often did) started the downsizing trend with its OM-1, which was smaller, lighter and quieter than other cameras. Other makers followed suit: Pentax with the MX and ME cameras. Canon with the "A" series. Minolta with the "X" series. Nikon with its FM and FE models.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying whether it was a pro or amateur camera. It's more important than the camera work correctly. And I wouldn't buy a camera from a newspaper photographer, as they tended to beat the daylights out of their gear.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by peters8 View Post
    Another question:is the pentax kx a professional camera or is it a normal camera for normal users?
    Only if it is in professional black color . . .

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Is that an LX in the middle?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin