Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,929   Posts: 1,556,839   Online: 814

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nikon FE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not that it mattes much but two possible corrections:

- I think FE has flip up tab but FE2 doesn't
    - F3/MD4 rate of fire is dependent upon several factors - the fastest rate only possible with NiCAD batteries and mirror locked up.

In all honesty... I use F3 and FE interchangably. It is only the mirror lockup feature that makes me choose the F3 over the FE.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nikon FE was my first really important camera. I discovered that with a good prime lens, a tripod, set the self timer so shutter trip was distanced from mirror flop and also hands off, and I understood a little bit about diffraction. I had read John Williams book Image Clarity, and with that Nikon set-up and some PK 25 or Velvia, I could make 20X30 enlargements from that camera that looked better than the stuff I was seeing at Galen Rowell's storefront. Color me happy. I was off and running.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    indeed, the little AI tab thingy does flip up on the FE. It does not flip up on the FE2.

More importantly for me, the FE has real match needle metering the FE2 has LEDs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Differences between the amateur and the professional:

The amateur spends much time dreaming that if only he could afford top of the range equipment, he could start shooting pictures "like a pro."

The professional grabs whatever gear is to hand (rarely the "latest thing") and gets on with the job of shooting pictures. That's how he got to be a pro in the first place.
    That's really funny and sooooo true!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    indeed, the little AI tab thingy does flip up on the FE. It does not flip up on the FE2.

More importantly for me, the FE has real match needle metering the FE2 has LEDs.
    No, the FE2 had the same meter as the FE with the needle. It just went to 4000 is all. O/wise identical. Oh, and 1/250th sync which was nice, to the 1/125th for FE
    Last edited by jimgalli; 10-09-2012 at 07:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Mike,

Your recollection about FM being the preferred backup is exactly right. The bigger flaws of the FE in my opinion is the way the batteries, both motor drive and camera, will completley drain if the motor drive is left on when stored. But when the battereis are good, the FE is just as good as a FM.
    That only applies to the MD-11 motor drive. They corrected that problem with the MD-12 model.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good to know. Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have used my FE for paid work numerous times over the years and not just as a backup. A superb rig.
    Current shot.

Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Such a lovely camera! (FE2 :-) )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FE, my favorite 35mm SLR.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin