Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,528   Online: 1054

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you are talking about the original Canon F-1, the only reason it needed a battery was for the built in light meter. Get a 1 degree spot meter and go for it.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing to remember is there have been more than two iterations of the F-1, there was the original F1, the F1n and the New F1. Check here for the models and there specs. http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/f_camera.html . I have had a new F1 for several years now and love it, built like a tank. The first two DO use a mercury battery, but Freestyle has a Wein replacement for it - Dad use's one of these on his FTB and they work just fine. Good luck
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use #675 hearing aid batteries, purchased in 8-packs in most pharmacies. They are
    1.4v zinc air cells like the Wein cell, but the diameter is smaller. Three options for
    centering them are: rubber o-ring, length of 16g wire (with insulation left on) bent into
    a circle, metal skirt removed from hearing aid battery packaged as Wein cell. The
    8-pack was approximately $5. They don't take up much room in a camera bag, and
    while they don't last forever, I average 1 every 5 to 6 months. I use them in a
    Canon FTb for the meter and am satisfied with the accuracy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, the whole thread is null and void now. I got a New F-1 off eBay today for a song. The body looked to be in great shape and the posting said everything was functioning as itís supposed to. I didnít even have to save my pennies; it fit into the price range that I had set for myself. Thanks for all the advice everyone.
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Medium Format

Always the A1 option

I purchased an F1 back in the late 80's (the last of the F1 versions that can be distinguished from earlier versions by the location of the self-timer. The older versions had a mechanical lever on the camera face, to the left of the lense as you face the front of the camera.) I paid +/- 1000 USD just for the body. I travelled a lot oversees and spent more time worrying about my 1000 dollar camera than I did about taking photos. I was a fantastic camera, no doubt about it. But I sold it several years later and bought 2 used A1 bodies and a 200mm 2.8 FD lense with the money. You can get A1 bodies that are not as old as the F1's that you're looking for. They use newer alkaline batteries that are commonly available, has aperature and shutter priority + programme mode. The A1 is a greatly underappreciated camera. I still have 3, the oldest going on 20 years and have never had a minutes problem. The Motor Drive MA for the A1 can be found at reasonable prices.
    "It is only the auctioneer who can equally and impartially admire all schools of art" - Oscar Wilde

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin